X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neill's pizzas, breads and roast lamb with veg

Neill?s Pompeii #12
    Sunday 24th June.
    Another late Sunday morning rise and down for breakfast. First things first and then out with the flour and ingredients and a morning in the kitchen for a days cook-up. First is a batch of pizza dough made from a specialty bread supply company here in Adelaide, but to the Forno Bravo reciepe. It was then a mix of ?Traditional German Multigrain? bread mix and then a white bread mix. While all three batches were upstairs in front of the slow combustion heater proofing, I lit the oven and stoked it till the whole dome was white. As last weeks post, I was informed that the oven wasn?t hot enough so I made sure that it was this time. Oh, almost forgot one of my favourite pizza toppings, so around to the shops to get some mushrooms, two types, and back to check on the fire and the proofing batches. I also had to make a temporary oven door to close off the oven until I get the cast iron patterns made and the doors installed. A quick mark out and cut with a patch of ply to fill the hoe and a rough handle, prop it up with a couple of bricks and the makeshift door worked a treat.
    All was looking fine, even when a friend with family arrived for morning tea. Everything going according to plan. The pizza batch was rising fine but not as fast as the multigrain which I used ?Instant dry yeast? whilst I used ?Fresh compressed yeast? for the pizza batch. I also used the dry yeast for the white bread mix.
    The fire was good, very hot and half the dome looking white, about the same as last week and still an hour to go.
    Lunch time came around and the wife was hungry looking for food and pizzas at least an hour away! (Need to get my timing a little more on , BUT this is only the third attempt and planned to cook pizzas (for lunches and dinner when at work) fresh breads and rolls and then roast our traditional lamb roast with roasted vegetables for the family get together. The wife was a little hesitant about the ability of the oven to accomplish all this, but it far exceeded her expectations bu cooking her muffin pizzas for lunch and to go ont doing all of the rest. It is 11 hours after lighting the oven and it is still hot enough to keep cooking but I am not that organized.
    When the pizza batch was ready I divided it into 6 and processed them into balls and proofed them again. The bread dough was punched down and made into loaves and roll (or rather sticks). I made 6 pizzas for school and had just pit the first one in (picture below) when my outlaws arrived from Kimba, a 5 hour drive away!. Two minutes later, the pizza was out, cut into pieces with my new cutter and it was hot pizza for afternoon tea, -yum! The next 5 put in and cooked then let the oven cool prior to placing in the breads.
    They had proofed (still find that term hard to take as we refer to it as rising!). Two sticks put into oiled cake tins, one white bread into a bread tin, one bare bottom for the hearth, and the other multigrain in a stainless bowl. All into the oven together and checked in 10 minutes. The white loaf cut in halves to expose a doughy centre, then back into the oven. The coals were left in the oven so the breads got a little scorched, very crisp crust but tasted fine by all who tried them, even the neighbour who caught one of the multigrain sticks that I threw over the fence straight from the oven. (I took in a pizza afterwoods for them to get tempted as well.
    The bread was removed and the lamb roast put in. A little later, when it was time to turn the meat, in went the vegetables, potato, carrot and pumpkin. The family arrived and all served with fresh crusty bread and topped off with a steamed pudding (but that was done on the stove as the wife had her reservations).
    Next time, I will light the fire a little earlier, make a larger pizza batch (or two), remove the coals when doing the breads and aim for a softer crust, and make a thick pastried apple pie, my favourite!
    I will also get some evidence of the finished products, so keep peeled to this site!
    The wife is off to Sydney next week-end so will need to see what happens during the week for the traditional Sunday get together and cook up as I will have to collect her sometime from the airport.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html
Working...
X