No announcement yet.

Damon's (BT) first bread attempt etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Damon's (BT) first bread attempt etc.

Ok...last night was my last baking before I put the render over all the insulated part of my ovendome. Armed with some of the above advice I baked 4 loaves in my oven last night:

1. Round loaf with split top - No-Knead dough recipe, baked in dutch oven, within pizza oven.
    2. Rectangular loaf - No-Knead dough, rectangular baking tray - open top
    3. Fruit bread, dough was breadshop premix and the dough was made in the bread machine - Cheating I know but this was for the wife so it had to suceed.
    4. same dough as 1 and 2 but I cooked it directly on the hearth. Intersting comparison.

All breads were a success (for me) and tasted great. Gave me a big boost of confidence to now get back to the ciabatta's. Oven was a constant 204C/400F probably a bit low but first time I've removed all coals - nearly got it right.

Fire away with you observations as I'm always open to then and your great advice.

Thanks Jim and Dutch
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

3 - fruit bread and 4 - hearth loaf
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Bacterium,

No looking back now. From the crust and the crumb of these loaves, I'd say you're very well on your way. A nice job all round. Look at the volume and structure on all your loaves. Well done. You are very ready for a retry on the Ciabatta. Just remember that it will not tolerate a lot of handling during loading.

Congrats,

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Excellent, nice loaves of bread you have there. Very appetizing! Congrats to you from me also. I am about to be busy preparing for this weeks Farmer's Market. I think I will to try that NoKnead recipe...looks like fun and a bit less work. In another thread it was said baking bread is like tennis or golf, no matter how good you get at it you always want to get better!
          Best
          Dutch
          P.S. If you haven't done this give it a try, spread the hot coals out across the entire floor of the oven before you clear them. This will soak a bit more heat into the floor and will help to maintain floor temps and should extend your baking time since the floor bricks tend to recharge the oven a bit more than the dome bricks do
          Best
          Dutch
          Last edited by Dutchoven; 07-12-2007, 11:34 AM. Reason: extra thought
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks Jim and Dutch
            yeah its great fun, espescially as all the bread got eaten by family pretty quick.

yeah the no-knead recipe (in the bread book) is great starting point.

Well I better put my head down for a few days and get my oven coating finished.....thanks again
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
            X