Wood Roasted Fruit Shortcakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Roasted Fruit Shortcakes

I pitted and cut a peach into eighths and put the wedges in a bowl with about a cup each of raspberries and wild blueberries. I tossed them with approximately a half cup of sugar, some lemon juice to taste and a touch of vanilla extract. After I put them in the cazuela, I sprinkled a little more sugar over the top.

After the floor temperature of my oven had dropped to around 450 degrees, I roasted the fruit for about 20 minutes or until the fruits were tender and bubbling around the edges, then tossed some kindling on the fire to get a good blaze going to caramelize the top of the fruit a bit. While the fruit was cooling I baked the shortcakes (actually rich scones made with butter, sugar, and cream and glazed with sugar).

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the final result - I split each scone. layered the bottom half with lightly sweetened whipped cream, topped that with a big spoonful of the roasted fruits and the juices (room temp.). I spread a little more of the whipped cream over the fruit, replaced the top half of shortcake, sprinkled that with powdered sugar and topped it off with a dollop of whipped cream and garnished it with a fresh raspberry and a mint leaf.

You can make this with any combination of fruit: peaches, plums, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, to name a few. Best of all, everything can be prepared ahead of time.
    Ron

Re: Wood Roasted Fruit Shortcakes

Here is a better photo.
    Ron

Comment

Ron,

My mouth is watering! In a former life I was a pastry chef so I am really looking forward so trying some of my favorite desserts in my oven. This will be on the top of my list.

S

Comment

RB,

Seems to me this might be a candidate for the general cooking E-book. All we'd need is a formula for the shortcake/scone dough and some general guidelines for fruit proportions.

James, what do you think?

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Here is the recipe for those interested:
          Wood Roasted Summer Fruit Shortcakes
          Serves 4

Fruit – any or all of the following fruit may be used: Peaches (eighths), Plums (quartered), Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries (halved), Blueberries, etc.
          (Below are the fruits and proportions I used)
          1 peach, pitted and cut into eighths
          ¾ - 1 cup Raspberries
          1 cup Wild Blueberries
          ½ cup sugar
          Fresh lemon juice to taste
          1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Fire oven to pizza temp and use for cooking as needed as temps fall from pizza to roasting to baking. When floor temps reach 400 to 450 degrees prepare and roast the fruits.

WOOD ROASTED FRUITS
          Gently toss all sliced fruit in a bowl with sugar, lemon juice to taste, and vanilla. Coat wel,l place in a roasting dish in a single layer. Sprinkle berries on top and sprinkle lightly with a bit more sugar. Roast until fruits are tender approximately 20 minutes. Throw some kindling on the fire to get a good blaze going to caramelize sugars on the top of the fruit. Serve at room temperature.

SHORTCAKES
          2 1/2 cups organic unbleached all purpose flour
          1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
          1/8 teaspoon baking soda
          ½ teaspoon salt
          ¼ cup sugar
          ½ cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
          ½ cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
          Blend dry ingredients. quickly cut in butter. make a well in center add heavy cream, just until combined. do not over mix. Gather dough. form an 8” rounds and cut into 8 wedges each.
          Place on a baking sheet, brush with eggwhite wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes approximately.

WHIPPED CREAM
          1 cup heavy cream
          1 1/2 tsp sugar
          1/2 tsp vanilla

whip heavy cream with sugar & vanilla in a mixer until stiff peaks form. Place in a pastry bag with a large star tip.

To serve:
          Cut shortcakes in half, pipe or spread whipped cream onto bottom half, spoon on some of the roasted fruit and juices, pipe or spread a bit more cream over the top of fruit, replace top half of shortcake and top it with a good sprinkle of powdered sugar. If desired, pipe a star of whipped cream on top, place a fresh berry and a mint leaf on top.

Comment

Ron,

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. It's fruit season here, so the mix will be good.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Recipe addendum:
              Jim.
              Just thought I would mention that when I make the scones, I usually have to add some additional milk (I figure it doesn't need any more cream ) in order to get the dough to come together. I also knead the dough 6 to 8 times before patting it into a circle and cutting the wedges.

I made this again last night for company, using my last two Colorado peaches, a hand full of wild raspberries and a generous cup of wild blueberries; the flavors were intense and delicious.

Ron

Comment

Thanks for that Ron,
                you have my stomach yearning for that right now.
                Will try it out next firing.

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Anybody else discover that the roasted fruit freezes really well? We used some we had frozen in August for a dessert for company last night and couldn't tell the difference. Makes for a quick and easy dessert, especially if you have frozen shortcakes in the freezer as well.
                  Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X