Wood Oven Cinnamon Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Oven Cinnamon Rolls

Last night, had an extended family pizza party and had some leftover dough.

A relative was brainstorming dessert pizzas, so we did one with butter, cinnamon and sugar on top. Pretty good, but he suggested "roll it out."

So, rolled out the dough very thin (something I never do for a pizza, had to dig out the roller) and put butter, cinnamon, and sugar on top. Rolled it up pretty tight, it looked like a small baguette.

Put it in the oven, which still had a small flame going on the side (pretty hot).

Left the roll in the oven long enough to brown and took it out to cool.

Sliced it up... it was fantastic, a big hit!

That's going to be a standard dessert option, for now on. Forgot to get pictures, maybe next time.
    Keller TX
    Artigiano 39"
    former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
    www.leanblog.org
    http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Re: Wood Oven Cinnamon Rolls

Sounds wonderful!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

I really like the cinnamon roll recipe in The Bread Bakers Apprentice. You make the dough, coat it with butter, sugar and cinnamon, make the jelly roll, and then cut it into slices. If you are patient, you let the rolls proof again before baking.

The kids love it, and I can definitely see how they would come out light and puffy in your brick oven.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

OK, you got me on the cinnamon rolls, had to try it last night. I rolled them a pie out like you said, picture 1, beer can for scale, tossed into the fire and pulled it out after about 2 minutes. It was great, but the middle of the roll was still pretty soft and under-cooked. Suggestions? Maybe only use half a pie? We have another party on the 20th so we will try again.

Anybody try melting caramels on desert pizzas? They are in teh stores now for covered apples so I bought some to try last night and ran out of dough. Was thinking about cutting them in half and adding apple pie filling for a "bobbing for pie" type??? I'll try in a couple of weeks

First pic is the roo, second was a pizza a guyest put together and the third is another desert pizza of chocolate, melted on a a base then marshmellows added at the end. This time I used big mellows, cut them in half, cut side down on the pie, worked great and didn't burn like the small mellows.

Comment

I'm not sure caramel will do very well - they are usually melted slowly (although not a delicate as chocolate so they don't need a double boiler). Can't hurt to try but I'd definitely cut them up - cooked so hot and fast they will need to be small in order to have a chance to melt.

You might try the caramel wraps they sell for apples - being already flattened they should melt much easier and give better coverage.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post
            OK, you got me on the cinnamon rolls, had to try it last night. I rolled them a pie out like you said, picture 1, beer can for scale, tossed into the fire and pulled it out after about 2 minutes. It was great, but the middle of the roll was still pretty soft and under-cooked. Suggestions? Maybe only use half a pie? We have another party on the 20th so we will try again.
            That looks about the same size and proportions as mine. Maybe my oven was hotter still or the time was different. I left mine in until fairly browned on the outside, so it was a little crispy on the outside, but not underdone in the middle. When I try again, I"ll take better notes and a photo.
            Keller TX
            Artigiano 39"
            former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
            www.leanblog.org
            http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X