Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Naan

Originally posted by parker.larry View Post
    The chicken I was less happy with but I think that was because of the inferior chicken I started with and not the cooking technique.

Is anyone else experimenting with non western cooking in their ovens?

Larry
    Originally posted by james View Post
    I grilled Tandoori chicken on a Tuscan grill and slow baked vegetable dishes and it has come out pretty good.

James
    The chicken in a Tandoor doesn't touch anything but the iron rod its threaded on (which heats up and cooks the inside)
    The rest of the cooking is done with hot air.
    I think a jig that kept the iron bar in the air would be the way to go.
    Maybe 2 steel bars on tripod legs at each end that you could rest the skewered chicken on.

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
      The chicken in a Tandoor doesn't touch anything but the iron rod its threaded on (which heats up and cooks the inside)
      The rest of the cooking is done with hot air.
      I think a jig that kept the iron bar in the air would be the way to go.
      Maybe 2 steel bars on tripod legs at each end that you could rest the skewered chicken on.

A rib rack can achieve the same thing too, with minimum contact between chicken and the hearth floor. However i am not very comfortable with letting all the juice and marinade drip to the floor. I am using an aluminum foil below it to catch the juice. Does the aluminum foil change any effectiveness? Is it okay to let it drip to floor?

For the separate tondoor for naan, I think the naan has more to do with the dough and the way it is cooked. Floor temp > 800 F, Yogurt is a must and the naan is stretched on naan pad with no flour and misted with water, poke a hole in the middle and slap on the dome. However slapping on the floor should work just fine too (my guess). The hole in the middle prevents from making it a pita bread. There is another variation called "Roghni Naan" that has more oil in the dough and a sprinkle of sesame seed on the top. I plan on mastering both, hopefully soon.
      Last edited by Ck_b2001; 12-28-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ck_b2001 View Post
        A rib rack can achieve the same thing too, with minimum contact between chicken and the hearth floor. However i am not very comfortable with letting all the juice and marinade drip to the floor. I am using an aluminum foil below it to catch the juice. Does the aluminum foil change any effectiveness? Is it okay to let it drip to floor?
        Im not sure whether you would start getting chicken curry flavoured pizzas or a black stain form the burnt chicken fat.
        With a tandoori that all falls into the fire and comes back as smoke to flavour the chook.
        Maybe a pile of ash underneath a raised skewer would be the best???

Originally posted by Ck_b2001 View Post
        For the separate tondoor for naan, I think the naan has more to do with the dough and the way it is cooked. Floor temp > 800 F, Yogurt is a must and the naan is stretched with much less flour on the mitten/pillow type deal,
        I think the original naans were sourdough based its not like the average village Indian could go out and buy yeast in the supermarket, up until recently.
        The pillow in my local Indian restaurant had a regular linen tea towel as the final layer and was constantly covered with flour and dough,I would imagine over time this would develop into a sour dough starter along with the way the dough would be stored handled would all add to the flavour.
        Looking at the recipes they seem to mention Maida flour a highly processed flour that looks like cake flour (not bread flour)
        Maida flour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
          Im not sure whether you would start getting chicken curry flavoured pizzas or a black stain form the burnt chicken fat.
          The beauty of wood fired ovens is that they are self-cleaning. Next time you fire the oven, the 1000F+ heat will make your floor sparkle like new. No black stains, no curry-flavored pizza!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            With lots of research Ive developed this Tandoor oven.
            Al,

That thing looks great! Do you deliver to Kentucky, USA?
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

My thoughts exactly Ken....

or even a step by step tutorial....at a nominal fee of course...

Comment

Once Ive built a few ovens and tested them I will write an ebook that I will put on Amazon.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                X