Wood Fired Goat (Capretto al forno)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Fired Goat (Capretto al forno)

Ok guys i finally cooked up my 1st meal in the brick oven.

Just a small batch of wild goat leg and shoulder

click to enlarge pics

Soaked it in milk for 20min (normally i do it for 1 hour) to remove the gamey taste and just leave the sweetness of the meat to taste.

Rubbed some olive oil and sea salt into the meat. Then cutting some slits and putting some garlic cloves in them.

Then basted it with a famous home made italian sauce i have learnt to make (and hopefully soon market to the public) "cuccio marro" is the name which is a combination of so many fresh ingredients. I normally marinate the meat for 2 hours but in this case i was in a rush so i threw it straight in the oven with some white wine on the base to keep it moist and covered it with foil.

Last edited by Ageo308; 10-31-2007, 02:37 PM.
    Regards
    Adrian

Re: Wood Fired Goat (Capretto al forno)

In the oven it goes (taken with a flash on the camera) (removed the foil just for the photo)*

Here it is at half way when i had to turn it over (i tried some and the meat was fantastic already).

Here you can see it cooking back in the oven without the flash (the red coals).

Regards
    Adrian

Comment

The finished result

They were very tender and to my amazement could only taste the sweetness of the meat coupled with the fantastic sauce. Edit: forgot to add total cooking time 2 hours (although i would prefer 3-4 hours on lower heat to make it even more tender).

Got the thumbs up from my mum and old man
      Regards
      Adrian

Comment

none of the pictures came through

Comment

I can see the pictures...

How long did you fire the oven?
          How hot do you think it was when you put the goat in? When you took it out?

Looks excellent! Can't get goat readily in the US, but I had some AMAZING goat in Italy.

Thanks for the pics!

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
            none of the pictures came through
            try another browser, but it works on many computers i have used.

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post

I can see the pictures...

How long did you fire the oven?
            How hot do you think it was when you put the goat in? When you took it out?

Looks excellent! Can't get goat readily in the US, but I had some AMAZING goat in Italy.

Thanks for the pics!

Drake
            The oven was fired to cook pizzas (they came out O.K but need some work), about 1 1/2 hours as the bricks went white, cooked the pizzas then as the oven settled i threw it in (not sure how hot, but i need to buy the thermometer). When i took it out the oven was less (probably still over 200 *C). The goat we used was from a couple of weeks back when we went hunting. Wild meat is always better than domestic.
            Last edited by Ageo308; 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM.
            Regards
            Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post

Thanks for the pics!

Drake
              Believe it or not Drake... Here in West Texas you can buy it at the local supermarket.
              We have a large Hispanic population and it is popular in their culture. I used to eat Capretto with my best friend and his family when I was a youngster. His family cooked it in pit in the ground... coals, rocks, etc. Tasty stuff!

I will have to give it a try in my WFO.
              My thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
              My costs:
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
              My pics:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

what's in your special sauce? That's if you want to share it, is it better to soak the goat in milk for 2 hours?

Comment

Adrian:

you should post that recipe in the roasting section below. There have been some roasted goat discussions but that sauce would be a great addtion.

XJ
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Here in Richmond, VA you can score some goat at the latin markets and the asian markets, there is also a great butcher (Butcher at Belmont) seems you can get most anything there.

Comment

I'm having a real hard time picturing a Wood Fired Goat. What kind of wood do you use in a Wood Fired Goat ? I knew they could eat just about anything but I can't quite figure out where to put the wood and which end do you put the pizza into to cook
                      Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Working...
                      X