Apple Strudel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Strudel

I actually cooked this at my sons birthday a month back, but just got these photos passed on from a friend. This is my second attempt at apple strudle. Its a recipe in Russell J's book. Its a good one to prepare with the guests about as it looks cool as you stretch the pastry right out.

Inside I put apples, raisins, chopped almonds, cinnamon, chopped lemon rind, and mixed spice. To save time (some might say its cheating) I pre-cooking the inside stuff, let it cool and all the apple juices soak into the raisins - which puff up nicely. Yet the almond pieces still have a slight crunch.

Then you just roll/stretch out the pastry, ingredients on, roll it up and put it in to cook for about 10-15mins. I cooked it in the tray pictured.

Slice and then serve with cream or ice cream

I can post the recipe but at the moment my mate has got my book....
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Re: Apple Strudel

Damon,

That's an inspiration. I think the recipe should be included in the general cooking e-book, including the dough/pastry (James?). Well done, er, nicely done.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I agree with Jim.

And that thing looks absolutely tasty!~

I bet it is really awesome with ice cream.
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

looks nice Damon, will have to try that
        Regards
        Adrian

Comment

thanks for the comments
          .....its quite fun to do, looks kinda rustic and its gets all sorts of comments.......Overall its a success and I confess to eating too much ice cream on top.

I'm learning each time I cook it and am now driven to perfect it......so my thoughts are:

-Flavour wise the contents are fine - the pre soften/cooking the apples and then cooling and soaking with the cinammon/currents/raisins saves time as othewise the recipe recommends a 1hour cook - I guess it assumes you start out with raw large apples.

-Pastry wise it looks good and cooks about right......I need to cut off the excess & pinch the seams instead of doubling it over in spots. The actual taste of the pastry itself needs something just to finish it off. Its good but its almost on the bland side of things. Its a flour/egg one with some grated lemon peel and sugar - maybe a dusting of icing sugar on top or something just to give it that extra hit of sweetness.

yeah good for the e-book (good suggestion Jim)

I will get the recipe.... (if anyone has Russell Jeavons book handy feel free to post it up)......the picture of one in his book is about twice the size
          Cheers
          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Ohhhhhh, this is so beautiful.. Strudel and ice cream is perfect. Family just finished dinner and I have to see this? Damon, do you make your own ice cream?
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Thanks Acoma.....no I have never tried making ice-cream - funny you should say that though, my wife and I were talking about it the other night....something I would like to know more about.

All,
              My mate bought my book back tonight and guess what.....he has decided to build an oven. He has actually been out and purchased some bricks for the base today. So that?s pretty cool, hopefully he will drop by here soon......don't worry I've already shown him the site and helped him download the Pompeii plans.

Anyway here is the recipe from Russell Jeavons book (Your Brick oven ? building it and baking in it):

-450g unbleached bread flour
              -3/4 cup warm water
              -Juice and rind of one lemon
              -1 egg
              -2 tbsp olive oil
              -2kg apples (Golden Delicious are great)
              -1/2 cup almonds, lightly roasted
              -1/2 cup currants
              -1/2 cup raisins
              -1/2 cup sugar
              -2 tsp cinnamon

Place the flour on table and make a well in centre. Combine the water, egg, lemon juice and oil and pour into well. Gather in the sides and make a paste and proceed to make a bread-like dough, adding more water if necessary. Knead it until it is smooth and silky, keeping in mind that like bread, it is better more wet than dry - but not too wet. Shape a seamless ball and put it aside in a plastic bag.

Skin, core and slice your apples into a bowl. Give the almonds a few chops with a knife and add them to the currents, raisins, sugar, lemon rind and cinnamon. Assemble the strudel while your bread is baking so it will be ready to go in the medium oven. As with all brick oven management, timing is critical for using the stored heat.

To "spin" your dough, you will need a large floured surface, preferably accessible from all sides. Pat out the well rested dough and begin rolling it into the largest circle you can, using enough flour to keep it from sticking. Pick up the dough on the back of your knuckles and use its own weight to stretch it into an ever increasing circle until it is very thin and up to a metre across. You can stretch it further by dragging your fingers towards you underneath the dough, even using weights to hold down the opposite side. Persevere, as developing this skill will reap great rewards.

Brush the thin dough with olive oil and spread the apple mixture over the furthest two-thirds of the circle. Trim the thick edge of the dough and roll up your strudel towards the part with no fruit. Stretch it as you roll, and roll reasonably tightly. The last part of the dough will hold it all together. Place a flat tray next to it and manoeuvre it on with the join downwards and laid out with a zigzag or oval shape.

Place it in your oven and cook it for about an hour, or until the apple is well cooked. Brush it a few times with oil or cream if you wish.

Serve hot or cold, dusted with icing sugar, with or without cream.
              __________________________________________________ _
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Thanks for posting the recipe. It's a definite "must-try" for me!

Sarah

Comment

I'm in. And yes Damon, you now need to make the ice cream to go with it. That will be quite easy too.
                  An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

no worries.........I'd like to hear other peoples experiences if they give it a shot.

It's funny as I was typing the recipe I got to the bit where it talks about brushing the rolled out dough with olive oil......I've forgotten to do it, which may explain why I haven't got it just right yet.....not that any guest have commented.
                    Cheers
                    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
                    X