Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustic Meal: Sausage, Sweet Potatoes & Maple Cinnamon Apples

The first non-pizza meal tonight!
    The fire was just meant to cure the oven a bit more but it seemed a shame to waste that good heat so we scrounged around and came up with a rather rustic meal - sweet potatoes with a bit of oil and maple syrup and Oktoberfest sausages, served up with some bread - just store-bought, but not for much longer - then, for dessert, maple cinnamon baked apples, which went on vanilla ice cream, accompanied with a splash of Frangelico liqueur. The sweet potatoes were just OK but the other dishes were delicious!

Re: Rustic Meal: Sausage, Sweet Potatoes & Maple Cinnamon Apples

Does anyone have a good sweet potato or yam recipe? I have tried a couple recently, but nothing is a keeper yet.

Sarah, the apples look wonderful.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Yummy! I must try the baked apples - somehow I never thought of doing that. Its great to see you enjoying your oven so much (despite minor problems, which I am sure you'll sort out soon)
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Hi James...........I have a couple I used when in UK. I have never tried them in a WFO but I sure they will be even better.

First one is garlic/rosemary roast because we love lamb.

Chop sweet potatoes in one and a half inch cubes, toss in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and crushed garlic cloves to taste. Put in a roasting pan, sprinkle with chopped fresh rosemary, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Roast at about 450f. for about 40 minutes. Works as well for ordinary roast potatoes.

Next, in a nod towards Italy........Balsamic Roasted Sweet Potaotoes.

Mix together, 1 tablespoon unsalted, melted butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (older is better), any available fresh herbs chopped, salt and pepper. Toss and roast as in first recipe.

This works in a modern fan assist oven. In a WFO I would tend to monitor progress and turn the roasting pans if a fire is present.

If someone tries them before I do let us know the results.

inishta

Comment

Working...
        X