The Morels have arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Morels have arrived

That king of mushrooms, the harbinger of spring appeared on the mountain a couple of days ago. I love them. I made a slow-cooked Stroganoff with the mushrooms added for 5 minutes at the very end.

Anticipation got the better of me and I forgot to take an 'after' shot........

Click image for larger version

Name:	Morels 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	948.3 KB
ID:	312837

Re: The Morels have arrived

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
    That king of mushrooms, the harbinger of spring appeared on the mountain a couple of days ago. I love them. I made a slow-cooked Stroganoff with the mushrooms added for 5 minutes at the very end.

[ATTACH]6159[/ATTACH]

Inishta

That sounds to good. Our morels will be comeing in about 4 weeks. May I get that recipe.
    Mannextdoor

Comment

Morels - $10 an oz.at the supermarket! The hunting days are dissappearing around here quickly. Open lands are quickly being closed off to the public. Sad, sad.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

$10 an oz! No wonder I've always been amorel.
        Paradise is where you make it.

Comment

I've just put $80 dollars worth of mushrooms in a stroganoff for 2.

I need to go lie down................

This recipe was for myself and the boss. Adjust to suit.

Beef and mushroom stroganoff.

1/2 kilo (1lb.) good quality lean beef cut across the grain in strips or cubes, your choice.
          250 grams (1/2 lb) Morel mushrooms. Again substitute mushroom of your choice.
          250 mil (1/2 pint) beef stock homemade for preference
          Salt, black pepper and chilli flakes to taste
          1/2 tsp dried Thyme or Oregano
          1 tblsp Plain flour
          Slosh of red wine
          1 medium onion, chopped
          A couple (or more....) cloves of garlic crushed with a little sea salt
          1 tbsp of sour cream, yoghurt or cream.........up to you
          1 small gherkin dried well and sliced
          Olive oil
          Chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley to garnish

Put flour, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and herbs in a freezer bag or similar and mix well.
          Add beef and shake to coat with flour. Good way of keeping kitchen clean.
          Remove beef and add the flour mixture to the stock. This will add flavour and thicken the sauce.
          Heat some oil in a heavy based dutch oven or similar and brown the beef all over.
          Remove from pan and put a little more oil if required. Add onions and garlic. Cook a few minutes until golden brown
          Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping up all the juicy bits. Add beef and beef stock mixture.
          Bring to a simmer and put in a 2 log mediun heat oven for approx 1 hour.
          Check half way through, this is not an exact science.
          The last five minutes put in the Morels, cut in half, and the gherkin.
          Remove from oven, check seasoning and stir in cream, yoghurt or sour cream
          Serve garnished with parsley if you're trying to impress

Noodles, rice or simply hot crusty bread are all great with this.

NB. Morels should be soaked overnight in salt water, weighted with a plate to keep submerged.
          Different mushrooms may require more chopping and longer cooking time. Up to you

Enjoy.

Comment

Thank You Inishta

Can not wait to try it. I love those Morels.

Mannextdoor

Comment

Inish,
              Australia has a very poor tradition of eating wild fungus. I do wish I knew more about them/it. Afraid I'm a scaredycat. Same goes for a lot of our "herbs" as well.
              The price of being a relatively young culture I guess.
              teach.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                Inish,
                Australia has a very poor tradition of eating wild fungus. I do wish I knew more about them/it. Afraid I'm a scaredycat. Same goes for a lot of our "herbs" as well.
                The price of being a relatively young culture I guess.
                teach.
                Don't eat a thing Jeff, unless you know exactly what it is..........
                But you already knew that!

Try shrimp instead of shrooms... or you could pick shrooms out of cow pies!

How is life down under my friend?

Fall coming?

Dave

someday we should have a beer
                The land down under is on my radar.
                My thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                My costs:
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                My pics:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Dave,
                  Our home is a redneck-free-zone. What to do, what to do.hahaha.
                  Mate few things would give me greater pleasure than to share a few lies over a frothy chop or three.

Yes life is good mate. The Princess and her Lad are home from London for their wedding on April 17. Hope the weather doesn't cool too much before then, as there isn't a great deal of material in her wedding dress (or so I'm told).
                  A 35kg suckling pig eh. The poor mum! Just imagine the jugs!!
                  Best I stop.
                  J.

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post

[ATTACH]6159[/ATTACH]

It has been about four weeks. My mushrooms came in right on time. I have not had time to try the Beef and mushroom stroganoff yet. Since I just started finding the Morels as of yesterday. We are finding the small grays right now. The big blonds will be stating in another week or so. We will have about three good weeks of picking. I hope to get out every day. Yesterday I picked 267 morels and today my son in law and I picked 320.

Comment

Not nice to rub it in! They look yummy and I'm oh so jealous.

I researched growing these shrooms at home. Not much good news. Sounds like you can get them to grow for a single year, possibly a second. $50 will give you a chance to try your luck. I opted to just drool on them in the stores.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I have never seen them fresh in the store before. Only the little bags of dehydrated ones. So far it has started off to be a great year. Last year was terrible. All year I did not pick what I pick on the first picking this year. It is going to get cold AGAIN. I don't know how it will affect the shrooms. We have had plenty of moisture this spring. It's been holding up my dig. If that is what it takes to get the shrooms, so be it. The oven will get done in due time

Comment

About the blocks that you buy to grow you own. I have not tried it myself. I don't know anybody that has gotten more then just a few per block. Just enough, so that you can't say you didn't get any. To bad they can't get that perfected. But then I would get even less exercise.

Comment

Working...
                          X