Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken with an orange/coriander glaze

This one is a keeper and really easy.

Mix 3/4 cup of some type of orange marmelade or preserve -- I used Trade Joe's orange-apricot fruit spread. Mix with 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1-2 tsp of coriander and salt and paper.

Slice 2-3 onions and set them in a roasting pan (the one I haven't ordered from Amazon.com yet), and lay the chicken on top. Coat the chicken with the glaze and cover the wings and legs with foil, and add 1/2 cup of water to keep the onions moist, so they don't burn.

Roast the chicken for about an hour and 15 minutes, or until done.

Remove the chicken to rest of 10 minutes, and then pour off the fat from the drippings. Add a couple of Tbps of stock to the pan to release the browned bits, and then pour the sauce through a strainer. You could add a Tbps or two of Madiera or Marsala as well. Even swirl in a Tbsp of butter. I didn't do that -- next time. The onions give the sauce a nice flavor.

Che bella. The orange and coriander flavor comes through and the chicken is moist. The skin makes a nice dark brown, crunchy crust.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Chicken with an orange/coriander glaze

Sounds great! Roasted at what temp? 350ish?
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

400F for an hour and 15. It's interesting that you can cook chicken a little hotter in your WFO, and you can even keep it in there longer and it won't dry out.

With a glaze recipe like this, you want a nice crusty skin. Deeeeeep brown. :-)

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

So true James. Did my 2 chickens at mid 400's for 2 hours, with meat falling off the bone delicious.
        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

James,

A thought, but there's been a lot of new material posted, so maybe an update of the e-book on general cooking might be in the offing. That's a great recipe that I'll be trying shortly.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Jim,

That's a good idea. As you know, we are in the final steps of getting UL on our ovens, and we've re-written all the oven installation guides. When that is finally done -- we should take on a 2.0 version of the Wood Fired Cookbook.

We could also decide if we want to break it into two pieces: the Operating Guide and a recipe part of the cookbook. Interestingly, that is the eBook that is downloaded the least, but it is probably the most important one.

What do you think?
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
            X