Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood fired bagels

Can't beat wood fired bagels!

They look great. Can you post some details of how you did them.

David

Comment

Yes I too would love some details on what you did as I have been thinking of making some too.

Randy

Comment

The basic dough recipe I use is from Crust & Crumb by Peter Reinhart. I split the dough and add cinnamon and raisins to some. After the dough is proofed, shaped and proofed again, you poach them in a large pot of simmering water, about six at a time.. just don't let them touch. The bagels sink at first then slowly rises to the top... when it floats, flip it over... It only takes a minute or so. They will also swell up a bit too. Now you can sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. I add half a cup of honey or maple syrup to the water. When I was in Montreal a while back at St Viateurs, they told me they used honey in the water, but the maple syrup is really nice too. After you get your oven up to temperature and the soot burns off, let the fire burn down until you have just embers and push them to the side. When the floor temp reads 500-550F I slide them in on a cookie sheet. Bake for 4 - 6 minutes then turn the sheet 180 degrees and bake for 4 - 6 minutes more. You really just have to eyeball them as the size of your bagels and oven temp will affect total bake time. Hope that helps... Good luck : )

Comment

Thank you.

I will give it a try next time I have the oven fired up. Working out of town at the minute so the oven has stayed cold for a few weeks.

Comment

Hello Darbster

That worked really well.They came out great.

Thank you for the info.

Comment

It's nice to see how creative y'all are. Keep it up!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Working...
                X