Hog/pig roast in WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hog/pig roast in WFO

I had been thinking about doing a pig roast in the WFO while spending the summer in Europe - so I brought it up with a friend of mine and I went ahead and ordered a smallish pig (40 lbs) from a local butcher, only to find out the smallest they could do was 50 lbs. I didn't really find a lot of info about actually cooking it aside from one thread on this forum. I made a few attemps at cooking whole cuts over the last few weeks to prepare for it. Pork butt turned out pretty good, but I pretty much burned/charred/scorched a 12 lb prime brisket trying to figure out how I was going to fire the oven for the pig roast. I decided my best bet was going to be firing for pizza Thursday night and then putting the door (2 inch ceramic fiber blanket) on and hoping that it would stay warm enough for a Saturday ~ 11am start. I picked up the pig in the morning and it weighed in at 52 lbs. We butchered up the pig into 3 major cuts (head, mid-section, hams) as I didn't have a single pan big enough to cook it in. That is definitely one thing I'd change for next time is try to get a much bigger pan that would fit the pig whole.

After cutting it in the 3 pieces we washed it with apple cider vinegar and scored the skin. Rubbed down with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Doused heavily with Mexican Mojo marinade. Foiled and put in the oven with the door closed. I had gotten a few thermometers with remote probes to make sure the temperature was good. They were showing about 300, so we decided to get some coals going and crack the door open. That helped bring the temperature up 350F. We kept adding some coals throughout to ensure the temperature stayed consistent.

Comment

After about 4 hours we took the temps and we were in the mid-130s so we rotated them for even cooking. After 5 1/2 hours we uncovered the beast and added a bit more fuel to the fire. Needless to say with the door cracked for all but an hour it was starting to smell delicious here. After an hour of cooking uncovered the skin was nice and crisp although not completely bubbly. After a total of 6 1/2 hours of cooking the pig was taken out and carved up/shredded for tacos/plated pork.

Comment

Took almost an hour to pull all the meat off the roast and get it pulled so we had quite a few very hungry guests when we finally gave the go-ahead to eat it. We did a rotisserie pork loin on the side in case this didn't work out, as well as about 10 lbs of potatos, corn tortillas with all the fixings, salads, etc. It was extremely sucessful and I'm definitely doing it again. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again and not break much sweat about it.

Comment

Originally posted by thomasmn View Post
          After about 4 hours we took the temps and we were in the mid-130s so we rotated them for even cooking. After 5 1/2 hours we uncovered the beast and added a bit more fuel to the fire. Needless to say with the door cracked for all but an hour it was starting to smell delicious here. After an hour of cooking uncovered the skin was nice and crisp although not completely bubbly. After a total of 6 1/2 hours of cooking the pig was taken out and carved up/shredded for tacos/plated pork.
          Try using a hot air gun on the skin if it has not bubbled up it will often save the day

Comment

Congratulations on the pig roast. That looks great. I bet it tasted even better.

Randy

Comment

I will continue the topic of pork. I usually cook braised pork from this recipe https://club.cooking/recipe/instant-pot-pulled-pork/
              I can cook it in an hour and it smells like a barbecue at home.

Comment

Working...
              X