Shrimp creole - didn't cook last night but here it is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp creole - didn't cook last night but here it is

This recipe is not for WFO but could possibly be adapted for it.

SHRIMP CREOLE FEEDS 10
    WHEN MAKING MULTIPLE BATCH ADD SPICE BY TASTE
    (if doubling the batch double the spice but after that you have to go by taste)
    SHRIMP PEELED & COOKED 2 LBS
    TOMATOES DICED 6 CUPS
    FRESH PARSLEY 2 BUNCHES
    PABLANO PEPPER DICED 1 DICED
    ONIONS DICED 2 CUPS
    SALT 2 TBSP
    BLACK PEPPER 1/2 TBSP
    WHITE PEPPER 1/2 TBSP
    CAYENNE PEPPER 1/2 TBSP
    SUGAR 1.0 TBSP
    BELLPEPPER DICED 1 CUPS
    GARLIC MINCED 2 CLOVES
    FLOUR 4 TBSP
    GREEN ONION CHOPPED 1 BUNCHES
    OIL 2 TBSP
    CELERY CHOPPED 1/2 CUPS

Heat oil and make a dark roux with flour(dark brown not black, if it smells burned it is). Combine onion, celery, peppers, green pepper and
    garlic and add to roux. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add seasonings
    Stir in tomatoes and rest of ingredients except shrimp then bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add shrimp and simmer for
    5 minutes, serve over rice.

RICE
    RICE UNCOOKED 3 CUPS
    WATER 4 1/2 CUPS
    SALT 1 TSP (rice needs salt during cooking so add it do not go without)
    OIL 2 TBSP

Put oil in pot and heat then add rice and stir till rice is well coated and start changing color slightly.
    Add water then bring to light boil. Cover and reduce to low simmer for 20 minutes
    (DO NOT LIFT COVER DURING THIS TIME) Turn off heat and fluff rice, let sit for 10 minutes and fluff again then serve.

Now for some ideas on conversion to WFO.
    I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS IN A WFO SO ITS UNDISCOVERED TERRITORY HERE. Play with this idea as a starting point.

Flour from oven floor that has browned could be used for the roux as long as it hasnt burned (turned black and smells that way) BTW dark roux is about the color af an old penny. If none on the floor then add some to a pan or floor while doing pizzas and stir it around quite often to keep it even cooked and prevent burning.

Coat the veggies with the oil and place inside oven to cook slightly tender.

now combine roux (browned flour) into veggies and stir to dissolve.

now in a oven suitable container that will hold about 5 1/2 quarts add veggies with roux and tomatoes and rest of ingredients except shrimp. Add water to cover ingredients. Place back into oven and allow it to come to a simmer for about an hour. Shrimp can be added and allowed to sit on counter for about 5 minutes. No need to return to oven becuse shrimp are already cooked and just nned to be warmed.

I think I would start this at the end of the pizza stage of temp zone in oven. Somebody try it out and play with it to make it work
    Last edited by CajunKnight; 05-17-2008, 05:42 AM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
    like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Re: Shrimp creole - didn't cook last night but here it is

CajunKnight,
    You inspired me. I made Gumbo two nights ago from a recipe book we bought in New Orleans (about 20 years ago). The kids loved it.

I found frozen, sliced okra; I slow cooked the gumbo file until chocolate brown; and used chicken, hot sausage and shrimp.

Thanks for the idea! It was a lot of fun, and brought back some very fond memories -- we used to make this a lot before the kids came along. :-)

James
    Last edited by james; 05-16-2008, 06:37 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Man! I see this working great in the WFO

thanks for posting
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

That sounds delicious. I think I would play around with cooking the vegies in the WFO first. Peppers and tomatos would char quickly in the hot oven, and add a unique flavor to the dish. I think you could saute the shrimp in a skillet in the oven as well.I think browning the flour in the oven would be quite tricky. Pizzas cook in 90 seconds and my extra flour is always burned on the floor of the oven.

Boy, your creative juices are flowing. Keep it up

Comment

Great topic! Where's SpringJim? I bet he has an opinion.

I'm always torn between Gumbo and Bouillabaisse. The latter suits my pallet so well - it wins you over with subtleties rather than blasting you with spices. I love spicy foods though. Really really hot spicy food. Thank God you never find both on the same menu. I'd never be able to make a choice!

Here's a link for those who've never indulged:
          Bouillabaisse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Last edited by gjbingham; 05-17-2008, 09:15 AM.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Me George? Opinions are like cracks, everybody's got one

I'd put it in the oven after adding the vegetables and tomatoes to the roux. An hour is going to cook everything fine. Add the shrimp towards the end, but I'd used uncooked shrimp if possible to add flavor to the creole.

Garlic, onions, tomatoes, peppers, celery.....& shrimp...gotta love it!

....now waiting for the gumbo recipe!
            Thanks
            Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

You CAN use uncooked shrimp. Still add at end and allow enough time for them to cook. Shrimp cook really fast. The shrimp really do not add a lot of flavor to creole though. The creole adds flavor to shrimp. Thats why I used cooked shrimp. They are cold added to hot liquid and soak up a great deal of flavor from creole mix. If you use uncooked shrimp please shell and devein them before adding in. They will still cook rather quickly so no need to return to oven. Allow about 10 minutes after raw shrimp are added and enjoy. Also depending on your location fresh shrimp can sometime hard to find. Frozen precooked salad shrimp can be found almost anywhere. Just pour them in while still frozen it works great.

You can also use chicken in this recipe. Just make sure chicken is fully cooked and cooled before adding. Or add chicken when everything is put in at beginning to cook thoroughly. I think if shrimp or chicken where dry cooked in WFO and allowed to cool in refrigerator untill the creation comes out of oven would add another great flavor. Lets hear about some test runs lol.

For the vegans out there just delete the shrimp from this recipe.
              like chicken...

Comment

Another thought about the shrimp.

2 pounds raw head on shrimp
                2 TBSP salt
                water to cover

Bring water and salt to boil in pot. add shrimp and return to boil. As soon as water boils drain shrimp and reserve the liquid. Rinse shrimp in cold water. peel shrimp and place shells and heads back into pot with water from cooking. Return to boil for 15 minutes. Strain water to remove heads and shells. DO NOT LOSE THIS WATER.

Put clean deveined shrimp in refrigerator till needed for creole. Use the water from cooking instead of plain water for creole, Now you have full flavor of shrimp in creole. Remember that you have salt in this mixture so adjust salt in creole to match. These shrimp are still added in last 5 minutes before serving creole.

So you are in an area that you cant find raw fresh shrimp but want the flavor? Go get 1 package of Ramen Noodle shrimp flavor. Add the season packet to creole mix when adding other seasonings. DO NOT use noodles in creole, just the season packet.
                Last edited by CajunKnight; 05-17-2008, 06:28 AM.
                like chicken...

Comment

Working...
                X