Tonights Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonights Pizza

Fired up my portable pizza oven in the driveway tonight and made the neighbors jealous :-)
    Here is the link for some pics if you want to see. I made a set called Pizza.
    Flickr: telehort's Photostream

Re: Tonights Pizza

Was that a portable in the driveway?
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

yes it is.
      While not in my driveway, here is a pic of the oven

Comment

That is some of the best looking pizza I have seen on the site. Can you post the dough recipe, processes and floor temps. I am still experimenting with flours, starters, temps to try and arrive at the place you seem to be.

Thanks,
        Jim

Comment

thanks Jim for the kind words.
          As far as the dough recipe I am currently using Reinharts Neo-Neoploitan recipe from his American Pie book. My deck temps run about 850 or so when cooking. I am using Guistos Peak Performer flour and have had good luck with that for both my dough and breads.

Comment

Wow...those are some great looking pizzas! Drooled all over my keyboard.
            ------------------------
            "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks!
              One more question. What are you using on your peel (semolina, rice flour, corn meal . . .)?

Comment

Jim - I use wooden peels to load pizzas in the oven, I have used both semolina and rice flour over the past and like both, but have been using rice flour a bit more lately.

Comment

Thanks again, very helpful.

Comment

telehort,
                    I am intrigued by the oven on a trailor (thinking about doing the same over here). What prevents the whole thing cracking when the trailor goes over bumps? or do you just drive very slowly!

Simon

Comment

Simon,
                      I had thoughts about the oven cracking as well while I was thinking about getting it. I can tell you that I haven't seen any sign of cracking yet, and I have put about 200 miles on the trailer since I have had it. I did opt for the double axel which added weight, but I beleive helps with a smoother ride. I also do drive a it more careful when pulling it, partly because it weights about 3800 pounds, but also because I try to be as careful as I can when going down the road. The worst wear I have seen is that a couple times a small amount of mortar has fallen from inside the oven and is on the floor when I get somewhere and take the door off, but this hasn't caused me any concern and may be something that once a year or so I may need to do a bit of patchwork.

Comment

I'm going to build on a trailer as well, and I don't think the over bumps part will be a nerve wracking as the forces of hard braking. A dome seems more equipped to handle downward forces, even shock, than it does side forces.

How are you guys going to prevent the whole mess from sliding?

Comment

I was thinking sticky tape!
                          I hadn't thought that far yet, just a vague idea that it might go down well at local fairs etc. I guess the first course would have to be mortared to the base unlike the normal plans? Maybe a cast dome bolted to the trailer?

Comment

Did something a little different tonight, my kids planned on having 11 of thier friends over so I thought I would take advantage of firing the oven up and on Wednesday I put some fliers offering pizzas to my neighbors for $10 each. I actually ended up selling 19 pizzas to the neighbors and then after getting those done I moved on to 25 personal pizzas and let each of the kids a make thier own. They were eating pizzas as fast as I could get them out of the oven. The neighbors thought it was the greast thing ever and have asked me to do it again next week.

Comment

Working...
                            X