Daube au beouf orléans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daube au beouf orléans

Fired up the oven the other day for my first pizzas (sorry no pics, cook too fast and got eaten just as fast). About 48 hrs later when the temperature had dropped to about 250 I put this in the oven. Came out GREAT! I believe I cooked it for about 5 hrs...served over egg noodles.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Re: Daube au beouf orl?ans

Stirred up...
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

First recipe I pulled up for this name was an oxtail stew. Tell us your recipe. Looks great.
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

Looks tasty, a bit like Brunswick stew!

Yes, please post youir recipe in the section down below....
        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

You certainly know how to make a fat boy beg...
          Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
          like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

I always get the name wrong...lol! Its actually daube de boeuf cr?ole. Anway, its from French Provincial Cooking by Elizabeth David. Excellent book btw.

The recipe is fairly simple and leaves lots of room for improvisation.

About 3 lb of topside or round of beef
            Dozen pimento stuffed olives
            12 oz of salt pork (or bacon in a pinch)
            1 large onion
            4-5 skinned and chopped tomatoes (canned are easiest, and i crush them with my hand instead of chopping)
            bouquet of herbs
            1/3 cup of rum (the darker the better)
            2-3 cloves or garlic (crushed)
            salt (not much)
            pepper (much)

Put two deep cuts into the meat and stuff the olives (halved lengthwise) into each. Tie it up shut.

Cut the salt pork into 1 cm cubes.

Slice the onion and brown it slightly in some butter. Once it starts to change color add the salt pork and continue browning. When the fat begins to turn clear add the beef to the pot and brown on each side. Turn off the heat.

Now here's the fun part. Heat the 1/3 cup of rum slightly then light it and pour it over the beef, shaking the pan until the flames die down. Now the flames do go up pretty high so if you have something directly over your stove you may want to do this step on the kitchen counter. Also, have your lid handy in case you have to just put it on to kill the flames. They take about 10-15 seconds to die down. Fun times!

Now, add the tomatoes, garlic, bouquet, few pinches of salt (or none if you like, as the pork and olives have a good amount in them), and a lot of pepper (freshly milled in possible). I usually crush about 20 or so peppercorns.

Cover the pot with foil and then put on the lid. Cook for 3 hours at 290F in your kitchen oven. I cooked mine for 5 hrs in my WFO, which was at 240F.

When it comes out, remove the bouquet and the string from the meat. Stir up the sauce to crush the tomatoes a bit. You can either leave the meat whole or crush it too and mix with the sauce. It should fall apart very easily.

Serve over egg noodles, or rice, or whatever you like. Its also great with some sourdough!
            Oven Progress
            Bread Photos
            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Working...
            X