Philly Cheesesteak in WFO..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philly Cheesesteak in WFO..

Well we experimented again this afternoon. After we had a sucessful pizza party on Saturday nite along with some wood fired ribeye steaks we come to find out that we are out of propane for our gas stove in the house. We have company on the way from out of town and now the menu has to change on the fly.
    We had three balls of dough left, a few pieces of leftover steak alraedy cooked medium rare and the end of the ribeye.
    We used the leftover steak and made two steak pizzas with onions peppers and one with mushrooms.
    The uncooked ribeye end we sliced very thin, marinainaded slightly and then tossed with the mushrooms, onion, garlic and red pepper strips. faced with how to cook it, I grabbed an old cast iron pan from the pantry and threw it in the already roaring oven. After about 5 minutes, I pulled the pan out and tossed in the steal mixture. What a sizzle!!
    I then stirred the contents quickly, similar to stir frying in a wok, and then pushed the pan back in. After about 3-4 min tops it was ready to go.
    Sliced open some french baquette, loaded the steak on an then topped with provolone cheese and popped back in the oven for 20sec or so.
    What a meal that made........!
    WFO's are not just for pizza and bread....

Tom in PA

Re: Philly Cheesesteak in WFO..

That sounds really good!

How did you cook your wood fired ribeyes? I'm ready to try it. Do you use a cast iron Tuscan Grill like FB sells? How hot is the oven when you cook them?
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Ken, the Tuscan Grill works great.....actually too good on my first attempt (overdone). I usually build a medium fire (not looking to soak the bricks in heat or burn it white) to get a good batch of large coals, spread them out and toss in the Tuscan grill. I believe the last time I did it the grates on the grill were around 675 degrees when I plopped the ribeyes on...only takes about 3-4 minutes per side to get medium rare on a 1 1/2 steak. My first attempt I went 5-6 minutes (the same as my gas grill) and I ended up with $30 worth of well done ribeyes....not appealing to me; just like pizza - overdone occurs very quickly.

RT

Comment

Ken,
        I just used a stainless steel replacement grate from an old grill wiyj feet welded on it so it's elevated appox. 1" from the deck.
        Unlike RT above, we cooked the meat in the same environment that we cook pizza in, blazing HOT! We let the grate get hot, pull it out and plop the steaks on. We don't rake out the coals, we just use the hot deck.
        As RT states, just watch carefully. It does take a knack to cook at these high temps. I always have a few sticks on the fire so I get good low flames rolling across the top of the dome which adds the slight exterior char which we love.
        Start out with hamburgers, they are cheaper.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA

Comment

Thanks to both RT and Tom!

Tom, sounds like you essentially have a homemade Tuscan Grill. Good idea. Thanks for the tips!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
          X