WFO Baked Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFO Baked Beans

Anyone know of a good bean recipe? I leave in the Toronto area and there is an Italian Restaurant called Basilico in Woodbridge that makes these amazing wood oven baked beans. I think they call the dish Faggioli Tuscany. Can't quite figure out whats in the dish but boy are they good!
    Check out my build at:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...uild-4678.html

Re: WFO Baked Beans

Here's an unusual bbq baked beans. After I made this recipe, it's been my goto for picnics & summer get togethers. There's never been a leftover! I normally bake them in a Le Crueset dutch oven in my WFO.

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
    2 (28 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans -
    1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)(peach pie filling works also)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
    1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
    1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325? for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    _____

Comment

Re: WFO Baked Beans

Tried this last night to replicate the bean dish I was looking for.

Took a can of red kidney beans, drained about half the liquid
      Took a frying pan added some olive oil, garlic and onions. Sauted for about 5 mins.
      Added the beans and liquid.
      Added about 2 tsp of savory spice.
      Transfered the beans to an oven proof dish.
      Put the dish into the WFO while I cooked my pizzas with the coals and fire to the back.

About 20 mins later the liquid had all evaporated and all that was left was the beans garlic and onions and they were good. I think the next time I am going to drizzle on some more olive oil and see if I can get the beans to crisp up a bit because thats the way they make them at the restaurant and have a bit of crunch to them. Very good.

Regards, Tony.
      Check out my build at:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...uild-4678.html

Comment

Working...
      X