A WFO Thanksgiving!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A WFO Thanksgiving!!!

Last night we prepped for the big meal today. We are going to fry the turkey but the rest of the dinner will be cooked in the WFO.

Last night we fired her up and made parmesan and black pepper crackers to go with the homemade sun dried tomato and basil cheese I made a few days ago. We started the dressing in a huge cast iron fry pan with some veg and ground Chourico sausage and cut up the home made bread we made last week. All the veg has been prepped home grown butter nut squash; brussel sprouts and bacon; potatoes for mash; beets and carrots (with a balsamic vinegar glaze); sweet potatoes cut up and ready to go. Poolish is made for the rolls; sour dough starter is bubbling away for bread.

But the best thing we made last night was the turkey stock!! Chef Phil took some chicken bones, turkey wings, veg scraps from carrots, celery, and onions. He put all this and some water in a cast iron dutch oven and let it sit in the WFO from 6pm till 11 last night. I can still smell the aroma this morning! The stock is a beautiful deep brown color we will add some to the dressing and freeze the rest in ice cube trays. Once frozen remove from the ice cube trays and put in a freezer bag and we can use all the cubes or just a few for recipes later!!

We did use the conventional oven to make the pumpkin cheese cake and will use it today to make the Indian pudding ? too risky to cook these in the WFO!!!

I?m sure my dad will take photos of the cooking process and I?ll post the good ones.

Have a GREAT THANKSGIVING!!
    Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Re: A WFO Thanksgiving!!!

This sounds great. We need photos!
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
    X