New Year's pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year's pizza

We had a few friends over for pizza today. Made some of the best yet! It was in our oven at home and the old barrel vaulted beast did it's usual fine job making some great pizza!
    Hope you enjoy the pics!
    Happy New Year!
    Becca and Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Re: New Year's pizza

Decided to post a couple of pics of some of our biggest pizza fans!
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Mmmm, looks great! We made nine pizzas with friends last night. Five fairly standard ones with predictable toppings, but we had fun, too.

Carmelized onion, fig, and cheese:

Shrimp and pesto:

The pizza version of Drew's famous fabulous grilled cheese sandwiches, HP steak sauce and emmenthaler cheese. Really, really yummy, I swear, even though it sounds highly unlikely:
      Nikki

Comment

Looks very yummy, are you using the pizza dough recipe from Forno Bravo? We can't wait to start making pizza in our oven! We are starting to build the dome today!

Comment

Dutch and Nikki

Nice work!
          I think that this thread could be a good one to discuss the oven temperatures.
          Looking at Dutch pizza pic I could guess (and it is just a guess) that the oven temperature is around the 750 F, since the dough is browned all around and there is not leoparding on edges.
          May be the temperature of the Dutch oven could be rised a little, specially the dome one. Reaching the 800 on hearth and nearly the 900's on dome, the pizza will take 45 to 60 seconds to be ready and the dough will be done, with leoparding edges and not so brown at all.
          The pictures of Nikki's pizzas could indicate that there were done in a home oven, using a stone, because the blackened base and the clear color of the dough.
          Molasses or sugar in the dough will increase the browning.
          I hope that my guess helps in some kind.

Best look

Luis

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I'm using the FB dough by weight recipe posted on the boards, which has no sugar. We were using cornmeal on the boards, and that got really black in the oven, but for the most part didn't seem to stick to the pizzas. I want to try the rice flour mentioned on the forum, but haven't gone out and bought any yet.
            Nikki

Comment

Luis
              Your guess was correct...the oven was in the 750 to 800 degree range for those and they were cooked in about 80 seconds...I would not hesitate to push the temperature a bit except for the fact that the oven used for these is a medium sized barrel vault and that would require my fire be much larger...most of our guests like us to make quite a large pizza base...14-16 even 18 inches sometimes...a larger fire with a pizza that has to be too close to it is a bad combination(have tried it once before)...your insight is impeccable...my hats off to you!
              When we start cooking in our larger dome oven at our restaurant I think we will be able to pull off the results of which you speak!
              Best
              Dutch

Comment

Dutch:

Yes, I realized that the reason behind the not-so-high oven temperature was the barrel vault with heavy mass.
                I hope your restaurant will be plenty of happy pizza eaters.
                It is the main reason because I have a round, medium mass oven.
                May be you could try to ‘cheat’ a little, using massive fire with higher flames at the rear end of the oven, baking the pizzas in front of it by, let said, 40 to 50 seconds and finish the baking maintaining the pizzas near of ceiling on the last 10 seconds.

Nikki:

I used to use the cornmeal trick. It is helpful. However, nowadays I am using just a little as possible of wheat flour and just do the vibration / sliding movement to be sure that the pizza dough is free on the peel.

Luis

Comment

Working...
                X