WFO Cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFO Cooking

I fired the oven, and cooked bread... Came out great.

I have been reading and using Reinharts Whole Grain book. So experimented with the technique and put together a whole wheat sourdough biga (700 g), and a soaker with rye (500 g) whole wheat (200 g), unbleached (750 g), salt (35 g), and water (920 g). Set overnight; the next day mixed and kneaded, let rise, form into loaves, rise, then baked in the oven. I liked the results, dense but tasty.

Then re-fired the oven for pizza with company - um good pizza.

The next day, cooked eggs for breakfast in the oven, then four and a half hours for the venison pot roast in the afternoon. um good...

Then an all-nighter with beans. I like beans.. good food. (pinto's, onion, can of tomatoes, and spices).

So now we let the oven rest for the next excuse to cook food. This sure is fun!

JED

Re: WFO Cooking

It all looks good...

Nice bread. I like the Whole Grain book too.

Which piece of venison is that? Neck, shoulder, round?
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post

Which piece of venison is that? Neck, shoulder, round?
      Hi Elizabeth,

We used a round roast for this dish.

Our deer experiment this year was to do the butchering ourselves. Tied up the deer to the back shed, carved up the pieces and aged in the garage refrigerator, then cut and packaged the meat.

It was a great project, and great to be able to maintain quality control on the full process.

We ground the burger and my wife mixed up two flavors of sausage; a breakfast and an Italian. Um good! And of course to make sausage you must add back some fat... That is disgusting... helps a person keep a perspective on 'good' food and how that might compare to 'good tasting' food...

JED

Comment

We usually butcher our own deer too. I don't like it when they use the band saw to cut through the bones. We get better pieces when we do our own!

Next time try some chorizo- I made some and smoked it and it makes the best sausage and rice EVER. I also add pork butt to the sausage, and it is nasty to have to add fat, but if you don't it's inedible.
        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
        X