Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are we going to cook next Saturday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are we going to cook next Saturday?

I'm making pizza for guests a week from Saturday, my dilema is what to make with the pizza. Salad is on the menu, but we are at a loss for what to do for appetizers. I'm thinking along the line of an antipasti tray, but what other options come to mind that won't fill our guests up before they get to the main course?

Suggestions?

things you can make in the oven ...

steamed clams are easy and non-filling
    brick oven crab

this one is great but you'll need multiple heads of cauliflower. roasted cauliflower http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r...5b962a982e378e

and a non-oven winner

sushi grade raw tuna with wasabi and those little orange fish eggs (yum)
    my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
    www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

Seared shrimp on a cast iron grill pan. Butterfly, and marinate for a couple of hours before. Goes great with plain flatbreads (olive oil, salt and rosemary).
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

This is always a big hit for me and not too filling:
        Rick Bayless Shrimp "Ceviche" Cocktail
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Musa
          steamed clams are easy and non-filling
          That one speaks to me!

Originally posted by james
          Seared shrimp on a cast iron grill pan. Butterfly, and marinate for a couple of hours before. Goes great with plain flatbreads (olive oil, salt and rosemary).
          James
          What do you marinate the shrimp in?

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray
          This is always a big hit for me and not too filling:
          Rick Bayless Shrimp "Ceviche" Cocktail
          I love Ceviche!

Thanks all!

Man I can't wait until I have my oven built!

Comment

I like to roast peppers (red & Yellow), peel off the skin, mix with olive oil, sea salt, golden raisins and pine nuts (let the flavors mix for an hour or two) and serve with some good country bread. It is amazing on pizza if you have some left over.

Comment

Seafood marinade

Lemon juice, EVO, a splash of wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Marinade the shrimp for a couple of hours.

You can do this in a stainless steel pan, cast iron pan or griddle, or the Forno Bravo grill. Get the pan really hot and throw the shrimp on. It cooks in seconds.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Suggestions for Saturday- start the pizza earlier

Originally posted by stuart
                I'm making pizza for guests a week from Saturday, my dilema is what to make with the pizza. Salad is on the menu, but we are at a loss for what to do for appetizers. I'm thinking along the line of an antipasti tray, but what other options come to mind that won't fill our guests up before they get to the main course?

Suggestions?
                Stuart, in similiar situations, I'd just start the first pizza sooner. If they came for the pizza don't delay. I don't know the format of your gathering, but pizza can be enjoyed as a continous appitizer. Serving salads and breaking the evening up into courses sets a rigid tone. Get the guests involved.

At a friends moving party years ago, we made over 50 pizzas from scrath non stop. Every pizza was tailored to the small group that created it. They listed the toppings on sticky notes. They got involved putting on the toppings.
                just my thoughts
                Harold

Comment

Vegtables and crustini

We sometimes make or buy crustini to allow guests to taste some of the toppings that they might not be firmilliar with. A vegtable tray is allways a good apitizer.

Comment

Working...
                  X