kangaroo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kangaroo

My staple quick-fix dinner: kangaroo fillet slit into strips, pan-fried with some onion and garlic, to which I added a good amount of button mushroom slices a bit later.

Then added some ground pepper, sprinkle of soy sauce, and half a glass of South African cheap white plonk before thickening the sauce slightly with cornflour.

To go with it, I cooked a cupful of plain Basmati rice with a little filtered water, to a nice fluffy consistency.

Bianca made a salad with some lettuce, plus cucumbers and fresh tomatoes and herbs from the garden.

Quick, delicious and nutritious!

Cheers,

LMH

NB: We love eating kangaroo (buying say 400+ grams pre-packaged at Woolworths, not slaughtering the visiting wallabies LOL. This means 100 g each of extremely lean, 'carbon-neutral' meat for each of us at one meal, twice a week...)
    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Re: kangaroo

We get lots of beef and lamb from Australia and New Zeeland, but no marsupials yet.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

LMH,

What does the Kangaroo meat taste like? Can you compare it to something us North Americans eat? Beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, etc?
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Geeze, don't tell Jeff about your diet! :O He'll throw a boomarang at you!
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

My daughter frequently does a kangaroo roast in her WFO. The meat is somewhat "gamey" tasting. quite dark and extremely lean. The kangaroo has hardly any fat on him, so it's quite a healthy meal. It is also part of the Australian coat of arms along with the emu which some people here also eat.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

It is more like lean mutton or goat than lamb or beef.

I guess you could call it gamey.

The loin is the best bit, I like it diced & marinaded in red wine & garlic, then threaded onto skewers & cooked on a BBQ.
            Cliff.
            I have the plans, just looking for a clue.

Comment

It's most like Venison, in flavor and texture but with a stronger game accent.
              If you like venison, you'll love kangaroo.

IMO....it's nothing like, beef, lamb, goat or anything else 'mainstream'
              -------------------------------------------
              My 2nd Build:
              Is here

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                LMH,

What does the Kangaroo meat taste like? Can you compare it to something us North Americans eat? Beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, etc?
                Ken, you'll have seen the earlier replies - I can only agree that it has a very slight 'game' taste. I don't remember the taste of venison or hare, but it's probably a cross between these...

How come we don't export kangaroos?! There's always a lot of culling going on, most recently by the army in the Canberra area, and people get hopping mad! That excellent meat from culls is totally wasted, if we had any sense we'd at least incorporate it in army dinners...

There are lots of good reasons for eating the native beasts when they're abundant, and to cut down on those methane-farting cows lol!

Cheers,

LMH
                "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Kangaroos don't fart?
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                    Kangaroos don't fart?
                    Kangaroos don't fart methane.
                    Cliff.
                    I have the plans, just looking for a clue.

Comment

Another reason to stick a 'Roo in my smoker...
                      BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Hero in underpants tackles a 'roo

Comment

This thread has now hit the toilet!
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Please flush and remember to wash your hands.

Comment

...see what brave people come from Switzerland!

We can buy Kangaroo here, too. Must be some basic affinity or something. I find the meat tastes sweetish, and goes well with apple sauce. As opposed to (and I may be opening a can of worms here) horse meat which goes best with mushrooms.
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

While I could never eat horse meat (We own several, and I consider them friends) I certainly understand that in lots of places they're commonly eaten. I always make sure I know how to spell horse in the language of any country in which I might travel- just like I learn the words scallop (allergic) and liver...

I've not seen kangaroo in the local Kroger. Since we get lamb from New Zealand, I don't see why we can't get kangaroo! If it's like venison I'd probably like it fine. I personally like venison with nearly any dried fruit or rosemary and balsamic vinegar. Pretty good with mushrooms too.
                              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
                              X