Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ****Blue Cheese Pizza****

Hi All,
    I know this is not all that exciting, But as a newbie everytime i fire up is so cool,,, Last night I made a pizza with blue cheese, It was incredible.. You really have to like blue cheese as its a strong taste.. also made pepperoni and hot dog for toppings,, For dessert we made a nutella pizza. You make a regular dough, (flat and round) spread the nutella which is a chocolate hazelnut spread the fold the two sides over the middle kind of like a calzone. That was incredibly tasty as well. Since my oven has been cooking, I have eaten pizza for 6 nights now and not even close to being tired of it. Im thinking a outting a fire pit near it so i can be out there cooking well into the fall and maybe some of winter. has anyone tried roasting a pig in theirs yet ?
    Does anyone have some other recommended good toppings ?
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Re: ****Blue Cheese Pizza****

Blue cheese has lots of potential! Some ideas...

Quattro formaggio is a classic - mascarpone, blue cheese, mozz, and parme in roughly equal amounts - they meld into a whole new food group! (NOTE: NO red sauce, just cheese!)

Caramelized onions, blue cheese and walnuts is a great semi-savory dessert pizza.
    Ditto caramelized onions, blue cheese, figs, and bacon or pancetta.

I find it is best to use dabs of blue cheese so some bites have more and some less. (true of most combo pizzas IMO).

Prosciutto or serrano ham with fontina and grilled asparagus/artichoke hearts (choose one) with a touch of parme.

I really like guanciale (hog cheek) but it can be hard to get but you probably can in NJ. very simple pizza - very thinly sliced guanciale (shaved!) with a drizzle of olive oil and a touch of parme. It's pork heaven on a slice!

Browse through the forum and you will find LOTS of ideas!
    Jay

Comment

There's a local pizza joint in Philly out near the airport that makes a killer "Buffalo Chicken" pizza. They use some sort of thickened ranch dressing, Blue cheese and shredded chicken breast marinaded in spicy buffalo wing sauce.

Yummy! (if you like that sort of thing)
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I mandolin slice really thinly some yukon gold potatoes and marinade them in some herb olive oil for about 30 minutes. On a skin I put a small amount of a parm garlic white sauce (literally a TB or 2 so on a whole 14" dough) spread the potatoes out like pepperoni and then top with a either gorgonzola or a blue cheese. This has become by far one of my most popular pizzas, if I am at an party and make a total of 30 pizzas, I will do between 8-10 of these.

Comment

Telehort,

Can you tell us more about the "parm garlic white sauce" and "herb olive oil"? I'd like to give it a try and need to know what too use! Do you make these two items yourself or buy them?

Thanks!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken - I use the Herb Oil recipe in Peter Reinhart's American Pie book which is a great read if you want a good book on pizzas. As for the parm garlic sauce, my wife makes that and unfortunately there is no recipe because she refuses to write it down. I know she uses butter, flour, milk, garlic, parmesan. the next time she makes it I will try to estimate by looking over her shoulder.
            I hate to even admit this, but I have also in a pinch opened a jar of white Ragu or other brand of off the shelf sauce and with a few quick additions of fresh garlic or a bit of grated cheese, most people probably don't even know. The key if doing that is using it sparingly and not too thick on the pizza at least for my palate, too much of the plastic fake sauce and it really stands out so try to just sneak it in if needed in a pinch.
            Last edited by telehort; 05-21-2009, 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I recently bought American Pie, so I'll look up the recipe. Thanks!!
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Comment

Great sounding recipe, Ken... (potato/parme sauce pizza)

I occasionally make Reinhart's potato foccacia and OOH-LA-LA it is amazing and truly blows people away. Have you tried it? It is so great I will definitely do your pizza!

Thanks!
                Jay

Comment

actually I got the idea for the pizza after taking a class from Reinhart at Ramekins last year. We made the foccacia in class and I thought it was so good, it has to work on a pizza...and it does!

Comment

I recently tried Stilton on a pizza - great taste but we got a lot of "oil" out of it. Maybe I need to go thinner on the slices?

Goats cheese is great too - but doesn't really melt so you need to have some mozz in there as well.

Comment

Blue cheese, pear and rocket is another option.

This is the menu from a local brewery called Little Creatures - which includes the above. The combo sounds strange but seems to work quite well.

Wood-fired pizza - Menu

Mushroom, mozzarella, olive (anchovies) 16.00

Tomato, bocconcini, basil 16.00

Blue cheese, pear, rocket 16.00

Spiced pumpkin, feta, almonds, sage oil 16.00

Prosciutto, mozzarella, thyme 18.00

Harissa spiced lamb, melenzane, feta 18.00

Spicy Italian sausage, roast peppers, feta 19.00

Prawn, coriander pesto, shitake mushroom 19.00

Rossco
                      / Rossco

Comment