WFO meal #1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFO meal #1!

Still working my way up to white hot dome, so no pizza yet, but big and long enough fires to get some cooking done (other than smores) none the less...yippee!

I had zucchini and eggplant from our farmshare this week so I sliced that up and roasted it in my wee cast iron skillets with EVOO, rosemary and garlic. Sizzling and delicious, but as I suspected, I should have let them roast for a bit and THEn add the garlic.
    I've been known to do some wicked cast-iron skillet deep dish and after seeing how well the veg went, I'm sorry I didn't have one of those ready to go because I think the fire/heat conditions would have been perfect for it.

I also did some dough using the grocery store bread flour I had on hand and following James' recipe. The 500g. flour to 325g. water was much easier to handle than what I was expecting after what I've read here, and actually quite a bit dryer than what I normally do for pizza in the regular oven. Hopefully this bodes well for my future dough skillz using 00 flour. It'll be interesting to see the difference.
    Baked it up and drizzled it with EVOO, crushed rosemary and sea salt and was pleasantly surprised by the texture, but I think it needs an overnight in the fridge to bring up the flavor. This will be another interesting point of comparison once I have some 00 in the house.

need tools and some long leather gloves asap. The fish spatula and oven mitts I was using to move my fire around were pretty sorry.

Re: WFO meal #1!

Look for welders gloves at the local hardware store.

Cheap, but give good protection to the hand and arm.

Comment

yes, thanks. that's what I was thinking, too. I have Nomex oven mitts but they are not long enough. Need something that goes to my elbow.
      Just did some calzones and I think I am minus some arm hair. on the bright side, completley utterly delicious. without question the best calzone I've ever had.

Comment

hi splat...
        I havent had hair on my arms for about two months now, guess it will grow back over the winter.. Doubt it as im sure i will still be cooking..try the beer can chicken, Use the heineken KEG can, its wider than a regular can and pretty tough to get it in the chicken, but much more stable than a regular beer can.. Good luck and enjoy your oven

Mark

Comment

Beer can chicken sounds so cruel.....
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
            Beer can chicken sounds so cruel.....
            For the chicken or the beer?
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Hi Splat,

Could you enlighten an Aussie on what a calzone is ?? I've herd of it a few times now on American TV shows.

Thanks

Comment

hi gv,
                this is a calzone, normally filled with ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and I like to put slices of ham in mine... You can certainly put anything you want,,,,
                all you do is flatten out your dough like your making a pizza,, lay your ingredients in and flod it over,, crimp the edges with a fork, and bake it in the oven,,, Im sure splat can elaborate a little more as I've seen some of of pictures, and from what i've seen she is quite a cook,, But this is not too hard to do,, give it a go

Mark
                Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I always make calzone with all the left overs after a pizza party... we currently have one sitting in the fridge waiting to be reheated which is filled with ham, sweet corn, mushrooms, mozzarella, tomato sauce, onion, parmesan and salami (which I believe you all would call peperoni).

Calzone needs to baked at lower temps and for longer than a regular pizza, so it will cook all the way through. Its really yummy though, give it a try!
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Yeah, we do exactly the same. Isn't it strange how you always seem to overestimate the toppings and then there's always stuff left over ?
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Those left overs are put to use here as well. I make all the dough bases up into pizzas and freeze for snacks/meals later on.
                      I used to take them to work but accepted a TVSP a week ago but still have 4 or 5 pizzas ready to go. Will get to have them during my 'days off'!
                      Any one got a job??
                      Microwave them on lower than half power and the crusts don't go like leather - great for a snack or quick easy meal without having to light the oven and get all of those ingredients again!

Neill
                      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                      Neill’s kitchen underway
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks Mark,

Calzones sounds like a good way to thin out the excess ingredients for sure, I've only had 2 pizza firings to date & after the first one I said "note to self"..buy less toppings next time, but did I listen to myself the 2nd time we had pizza...nooooo

regards Brett.

Comment

Calzones are what you get after a high angle pizza delvery into the oven
                          Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Working...
                          X