2009 Wine Making time!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Wine Making time!!

Last year for the first time we made home made wine the old timers way, by crushing the grape and with no additives (we also make wines from kits). It turned out great! So its that time again and this year we are not only making MORE red but making white as well. When all is said and done we should have 75 - 80 gallons of wine. If anyone wants to follow along they can see the process on our blog.

WFO Pizza without homemade wine is like a day without sunshine!! LOL
    Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Re: 2009 Wine Making time!!

Well done!

Where did you get your press?

I have about 50 vines that will go into production next year.

Keep us informed!
    Jay

Comment

The Press belongs to our neighbors father. Its the only equipment we do not own, but it lives here at our house!

50 vines...what type and how much will that produce??
      Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

Comment

Be very cautious with your white, oxidation can harm it much easier then a red. Personally if you really want to go sans sulfites, I would keep the acidity high and do the primary fermentation under and air lock.

Comment

Hi Chef!

I have appx. 35 grenache, 5 syrah, 5 mouvedre, 1 petite verdot, 1 roussane, and 3 black spanish (these just because they are immune to some of the diseases around here). With proper pruning I can get about 150-200 bottles of dry rose (from the Grenache and some additional grapes for a blend of the othes OR I can make about 5 gallons of rose and about 5 gallons of a dry red blend. (to make a high quality red I will need to keep the grenache trimmed pretty hard - ideally less than 1/10 the yield for rose!)

We also have some European olive trees that should begin producing next year and we hope to have our own house olive oil starting next year!

Good luck with your wine!
          Jay

Comment

This thread has gotten me excited about making wine. I've got about 8 bottles of a 2003 Sangiovese that I helped bottle a couple years ago. And I went in on the 2005, two batches of 2006 and one 2007. We're bottling a couple of those soon, so I'll be flush with wine in no time. Keep us posted on the progress.

Comment

Well, Papavino, the feeling is mutual. I have made wine before but not for four years so hearing you are making wine is also motivational. Please keep us posted too!
              Jay

Comment

I got a catalog from Northern Brewers winemaking the other day. Have you all used their kits? Some of them look pretty good, but I know nothing about any of it. DH is brewing beer at an alarming rate, so I'm hesitant to suggest anything which involves more carboys, but if this stuff is decent, it might be a fun way to do it.

I don't think I can get real grapes around here other than concord, and I already know what they turn out.
                Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Hi Elizabeth!

I haven't seen the Northern Brewers catalog but I will look it up.

Our drought has eased and my grapes are enjoying fall. Next year will be interesting!

Thanks!
                  Jay

Comment

Kits are pretty popular, and as such there is a wide range. They range from concentrates that you add a bunch of water too on the cheap end to all juice with grape packs which contain skins on the expensive end with many quality levels and price points in between. If you are interested Amateur & Small Winery WineMaking - WinePress.US? The Largest WineMaking & Grape Growing Discussion Forum on the Internet is a great wine making forum and they have a section just for kits.

-Jeff
                    Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                    I got a catalog from Northern Brewers winemaking the other day. Have you all used their kits? Some of them look pretty good, but I know nothing about any of it. DH is brewing beer at an alarming rate, so I'm hesitant to suggest anything which involves more carboys, but if this stuff is decent, it might be a fun way to do it.

I don't think I can get real grapes around here other than concord, and I already know what they turn out.

Comment

We do use the kits as well as doing it the old timers way. The kits are SOOOO much CLEANER and you get a great product. It is also a bit less work than the beer - you dont have to "cook" it!! Also all the equipment you use for the beer you can use for the wine!

Comment

<<Also all the equipment you use for the beer you can use for the wine!>>

Not if he's already using it! Seriously, he's gotten really into the beer thing. His first one, an oatmeal stout, has been praised to the skies (but he thinks it could be better) He's got a Belgian abbey ale in the secondary and a smoked porter in the primary. I don't drink beer at all, but it all smells pretty good, for beer.

Now wine, I could get into. Especially if I don't have to cook it. That porter had to steep for 90 minutes! And he runs me out of my own kitchen while he's doing it! Hmph.

I was looking at the all juice, with the skins pack. It looks sort of spendy until you figure up what each bottle would cost, which isn't bad at all, if it's drinkable. I'm not that picky- I tend to spend between 6 and 12 dollars a bottle at my local wine store- they get some really good buys (hence the 6 dollar bottle).

Maybe when things calm down a bit I'll give it a whack. I'm still settling in at a new job 3 days a week and trying to do everything else too.
                        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

The wine is coming along just fine and sitting in demi's and carboys until we bottle in december. Color is looking good, flavor is great, hopefully this will all improve as it sits in the basement....I love doing this!!

Comment

Working...
                          X