125 pounds of pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125 pounds of pulled pork

Phil and I are cooking for a charity event this weekend. We were able to get 125 pounds of bonless pork shoulder donated!! Tonight we prepped and started to cook the pulled pork.

We fired up the oven for 2 hours got her nice and hot. The meat was cut up to make the best use of space in the roasting pans and was rubbed with Chef Phils blend of spices. We removed most of the hot coals loaded up the oven with the meat and placed one bag of mesquite wood chips that had been soaking in one bottle of Crown Royal on top of the hot coals. The oven door was put in place at 9 pm and left ajar to allow air flow.

We did this last year and people went NUTS over the pulled pork...we will keep you posted!!
    Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Re: 125 pounds of pulled pork

Looks great! But I think that is alcohol abuse - crown royal is best served over ice.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

nice work,, looks great,,

Comment

What temp was the oven when you put the meat in?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Yeah we had a profitable day we made $700+ clear profit!! Last year we made $535 so we had a nice jump in profit! We even had people have a sandwich or a bowl of pulled pork and come back to buy more to take home!!

Mike the oven was about 500 F when we put the meat in at 9pm, it is very cold here was in the 30's last night and we do leave the door ajar with hot coals so it "Smokes". It was about 150 when we opened her up at 9 am this morning.

More photos....our blog will be updated with details some time sunday afternoon!
          Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

Comment

What a great use of the WFO! Did you serve the pork with a sauce?

Comment

Hi Chef,

That really looks like some great tasty pork!!, I cooked my 1st wfo roast this past weekend myself.. shoulder of pork too, it was very nice however after reading about your rub and BBQ sauce I think I could improve somewhat

If you dont mind me using your recipe, could you explain what 1/2 a cup of triple sec is??

Regards Brett..

Comment

Originally posted by gvzepp View Post
                Hi Chef,...

If you dont mind me using your recipe, could you explain what 1/2 a cup of triple sec is??

Regards Brett..
                It's an orange liqueur.

What is Triple Sec?

I had to look it up - although I had a strong suspicion it was some form of alcohol. Firefox rules!
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks Archena,

I was way off, thought it might have been a threesome of spice's or herbs.
                  anyway I've been educated now...I'll have to try a drop or two, I have tried Limoncello when I was at the Amalfi cost last, quite the kick!!

Regards Brett..

Comment

Originally posted by jrparks View Post
                    What a great use of the WFO! Did you serve the pork with a sauce?
                    JRParks you can fine the sauce recipie on our blog

Comment

Originally posted by gvzepp View Post
                      Hi Chef,

That really looks like some great tasty pork!!, I cooked my 1st wfo roast this past weekend myself.. shoulder of pork too, it was very nice however after reading about your rub and BBQ sauce I think I could improve somewhat

Regards Brett..
                      Brett;

We used Triple sec (an orange flavored liquor) but we usually use Tequila!!! We just did not have any in the house so we opted for the Triple Sec!

Comment

Working...
                      X