No announcement yet.

Bone-In Pork Roast

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bone-In Pork Roast

    It was only a 6 pound roast but it was a tight fit in the pot due to the bones.

    I used salt, pepper and poultry seasoning (we ran out of rosemary!). I did put 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly, into the meat with a paring knife. I seared it on the stove in a cast iron dutch oven with canola oil, then added two carrots and two onions each cut into quarters. I also added about 10 ounces of water.

    Then it went into a live fired oven with the lid on for about 40 minutes -- the dome was white but not quite heat-soaked. The temp of the roast was at about 145 F when I took the lid off to let it brown completely.

    I pulled it at 160 and then let it rest, with the lid back on until we were ready to eat (about 30 minutes?)

    I wanted to take a photo, but the vultures descended. It was boned and sliced before I was even sure what happened. I was working on carving a roasted chicken while the pork was demolished.

    I'm pretty sure that I had nothing to do with the success of the roast -- it was all Oven Magic. These ovens are the best things ever.

  • #2
    Re: Bone-In Pork Roast

    Vickie, what was the total time of the 6lb pork in the oven? I love pork recipes in the wfo. These ovens are the best things!
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

    View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

    My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

    My Oven Thread


    • #3
      Re: Bone-In Pork Roast

      I wasn't wearing a watch, but it was probably close to an hour -- it rested with the lid on for about another 30-40 minutes. It was still piping hot in the dutch oven, so it probably could have sat another 30 minutes.
      I was using an instant read thermapen, so I was mostly going by that.

      I also did a flattened chicken -- more salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. I put that on a sheet pan and got it into the oven on two fire bricks so everything fit -- the bonus of doing that was the skin was this golden crispy brown from the reflected heat. No extra oil on the skin. I pulled that at 160F and held that for the same 30 minutes.

      I made shrimp scampi and ratatouille in the 30 minute rest window. All of these were with a live fire and the door off.

      Once all the dishes made it into the house, I pulled the fire. I threw in four pepperoni breads, and three tomato breads with the door closed. We had appetizers and then I got the breads. One tomato bread was a little too light on top and 'wet' on the bottom -- I rotated him closer to where the fire had soaked the hearth and that firmed him up and everything was good.

      I have some die-hard s'more fans -- two hours later I opened the ash can and shoveled out some charcoal and added some kindling and lit it. A few quick puffs with a bellows and I had a cheery little blaze for marshmallows.

      Did I mention that these ovens are the best thing ever? It's brought my family and my friends much closer and the looks on their faces are so very worth the work of splitting firewood!