Sweet Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Pizza

Had some dough left over on Saturday night so I smeared on some Nutella, drizzeled some Sainsbury Finest Custard and put on a handful of Morello Cherries that had been soaking in liquor.

We were all amazed at how good it tasted - even though it was using a regular savoury pizza dough.

Any other ideas for dessert pizza?

Re: Sweet Pizza

I did an apple pizza which was a hit here. Again just using leftover pizza dough, I drizzled it with good olive oil then spread out a circular fan of very thinly sliced apples and a few slices around the edge. I sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar and baked in a medium oven (cooled down from the pizzas we had made for dinner earlier). Very nice.

I also have done a mango turnover (pocket pie) in the WFO though that used a different dough, but good. I tried a mango pizza with bits of chocolate on it but not sure I'd do that again.

--Janine

Comment

Blackjack

We were all amazed at how good it tasted - even though it was using a regular savoury pizza dough.
      To me (and I have wrong before), that dough is dough, yes sweets or bun dough can and often does have sugar added, but really only sweetens it a little. It is what we do that makes it a sweet or savoury but then again who cares eh?
      When I have some left over dough and have guests or the grand children here, I put a little butter over a rolled out or stretched out dough base, sprinkle it with sultanas, a little sugar and cinnamon. Roll it up tight and then cut diagonally into 15mm slices and bake on a tray in the oven. let them cool a little and they go in a flash.
      Let the mind go wild and enjoy. I just need to have some chocolate and toppings with fresh fruit to try next firing.
      I also spread some home made apricot jam over a base and make a 'jam tart', something that my mother used to make when she baked and I miss!

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hey Neill,

What the heck is a Sultana? Anything like a Bannana?
        What does it taste like?

Christo
        My oven progress -
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
        sigpic

Comment

Christo,
          you people surprise me at times. Is there a different language with regards to basic food ingredients???
          Sultanas are dried grapes that are used in cooking, another dried grape is the currant, (the black ones).
          What do you call them over there???

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
            ...When I have some left over dough and have guests or the grand children here, I put a little butter over a rolled out or stretched out dough base, sprinkle it with sultanas, a little sugar and cinnamon. Roll it up tight and then cut diagonally into 15mm slices and bake on a tray in the oven. ...
            Neill
            That sounds amazing Neill - I am definitely going to give that a try next time I have extra dough from a pizza bake-off.

Rossco
            / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
              Christo,
              you people surprise me at times. Is there a different language with regards to basic food ingredients???
              Sultanas are dried grapes that are used in cooking, another dried grape is the currant, (the black ones).
              What do you call them over there???

Neill
              They are called raisins over here.

Tom
              Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

My pet hate at the moment are the raisins that have pips still in them.

Nothing worse than biting into a nice Xmas cake/pie and crunching your way through PIPS. Yuck!!!

[end rant]

Rossco
                / Rossco

Comment

I did the pizza dough with butter, cinammon and sugar rolled up and sliced--basically a cinnamon roll. I left out the raisins aka sultanas since here they have tons of bit of stem left--I gather the name for those nastys is "pips."

Language even when English is tricky--here in Uganda there are lots of English words which are not American for food. Some examples are courgettes which are zucchini, aubergines which are eggplants, chips which are fries, and crisps which are chips (aka potato chips). Even flours are a bit different--I don't know if Austrailia has Atta flour, but here that is a type of fine wholewheat (wholemeal?)flour. Plus there is "self raising" flour vs "self rising" and corn flour which I think is cornstarch.
                  Of course for me that is just the English-- the main local language here is Runyoro but Swahili is also considered a national language then there are about 60 plus other languages spoken in this district.
                  Amazingly food itself is mostly a universal language--I find that what tastes good to me usually tastes good to Ugandans also, though the strangeness of our foods to each other takes a little getting over.

--Janine

Comment

Well the sultana is a raisin but it is specifically made from a sultania grape. We have other raisins generically just called raisins......confused?
                    LoL
                    Paul

Comment

Also the wife (wives?) of a Sultan. Upon aging they may take on the appearance of shrivelled dried fruit.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you Paul,
                        the raisin is quite different from the sultana in apperance, colour, texture and taste

Tom,
                        we have sultanas, (from the sultana grape), Currents from the current grape and raisins , again from the Raisin grape,. Just like different wines from specific grape varieties.
                        Rossco is right when he talks about the pips in the raisins, they are a sweet grape that is grown primarily for the dried fruit industry and have the pips whereas the sultanas don't have pips in them
                        See the pic 1 is the raisin, a darker and stronger flavour than the sultana (pic 2).
                        The raisins are almost getting to the prune (a dried plum) or the date (fruit from the date palm) in colour and sweetness.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Thanks Neill for the explanation. We have golden raisins that look like your sultanas, but I'm not sure what grape they are from, I always thought they were from the Thompson seedless grapes.
                          They are very tasty, but right now I'm drinking the liquid form.

Tom
                          Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Originally posted by Janine M. LeGrand View Post
                            I did the pizza dough with butter, cinammon and sugar rolled up and sliced--basically a cinnamon roll. I left out the raisins aka sultanas since here they have tons of bit of stem left--I gather the name for those nastys is "pips."--Janine
                            Hi Janine .... this is getting interesting!! Pips are seeds/pits to you perhaps ... but not stalks! I think I need to pay more attention to the differing interpretations in this forum to minimise confusion!

Oh yes, Africa is different place for sure. I spent 35 years there before moving to Australia 15 years ago. I do pop over about once a year so still maintain some contact with the place. I found the flour there quite different to what is available here in Oz. Better variety here, but I have not heard of the Atta brand you mentioned in either places.

On the flour availability point I am hoping that some time (in the not too distant future) Caputo flour will be readily available here at an affordable price. Currently I can ship it in from Sydney (4000 km away) at a ridulous price but I'm just not prepared to pay $160 per 25 kg bag. For now at least I will have to make do with other, very good, local flours.

Rossco
                            / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                            X