Home made Cappocola and Dried sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made Cappocola and Dried sausage

We are learning how to make dried italian sausage and cappocola...my dad and his friend have been doing this for years but are now 75 and we need to learn before its too late. Its a very simple and interesting process - if you are interested check out the process on our blog.
    Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Re: Home made Cappocola and Dried sausage

I try to make sausage/duck prosciutto/etc. about once a year. It is an interesting process. Glad to hear you are learning the "old way". I am just reading from books!

Way to go!
    Jay

Comment

duck prosciutto now that sounds VERY interesting...how is that done???
      Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Basically take duck breasts, pack them in layers in salt (about a cup of salt per breast), let sit for a day in the refrigerator, rinse them off and dry them, sprinkle with white pepper, wrap them individually in cheese cloth and hang them outside at 50 degrees or so (can be colder or a tad warmer) for about a week. They will be like little tiny hams/proscuiuttos. Slice the meat real thin on the bias and use like prosciutto.

Obviously other spices can be added.

It's easy!
        Jay

Comment

Hi Chef,
          My dad used to make his own cappocola and prosciutto,,, I regret i never took the time to learn, but your pictures bring back some great memories,, Maybe its time i took this up again

Cheers
          Mark

Comment

Great post, my great uncle up in Ohio still makes dried italian sausage. I should really get up there and watch him do it once. I got the book Amazon.com: Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (9780393058291): Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn, Thomas Keller: Books and have made some confit items and some bacon from it, but I have not tried any air cured items. I understand you need some humidity, and it is so dry here in colorado. I also notice that you are not using any nitrites (pink salt or Prague Powder). I think the book listed above reccomends that for saftey, but as you say, these guys have been doing it the old way for a long time...It all looks really tasty!
            My Oven Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Another good book on curing sausage and ham is Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas: Amazon.com: Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing (9780025668607): Rytek Kutas: Books

It is a "textbook" on sausage and meat curing. Truely amazing information. Read some of the reviews on Amazon............
              Last edited by Nabber86; 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X