***Christmas Prime RIb***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Christmas Prime RIb***

Here's the prime rib I just finished cooking for christmas dinner.... cant wait to slice it up !!!

Merry Christmas to all.... Happy Holidays

Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM.

Re: ***Christmas Prime RIb***

Happy Christmas to you Mark!!

Great job on the rib - it looks really crisp and succulent!!!

I was going to do something Xmassy in my WFO but got lazy in the end and let the family demonstrate their skills.

I'm cranking the WFO up today though for a serious pizza session to make amends for my idleness yesterday.

Rossco
    / Rossco

Comment

How hot was the oven? I cook prime rib inside at 250F.
      Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

the rib turned out excellent...

Joe,
        believe it or not,, the rib went in at 600 degrees... we were having dinner at my sisters house and they changed the time to earlier and I couldnt wait for the oven to cool down.. I found whenever i cook something like that I put a cookie sheet underneath it and it must slow down the heat enough to keep it from burning up.. took about and hour and a half to reach 140 degrees inside,,(rare) the way I like it...

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Mark

Lovely pics of my favourate cut of meat. You can't beat sliced roast prime Rib of beef.

Myself had roast turkey on the 25th. Lunchtime today it's turkey sandwhiches and later we're having turkey curry. Tomorrow it's turkey and mushroom pie and then in the evening we're having turkey Doener kebabs. In fact I'm sick of that bloody turkey.

Please don't post any pics of the sliced beef or it really would be rubbing it in !!!

Joking aside, hope you had a lovely Christmas and best wishes for you and your family for 2010.

Regards Terry (C.F)
          Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

there's an interesting post on serious eats on this topic:

The Food Lab: How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats

I'm frankly frightened by a cut of meat that costs as much as a used car.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Terry,,
              You are in luck... due to a camera malfunction ( i forgot to charge it) I was unable to get pictures of it after,,, I can tell you it was deeeeelicious........

David,, wasnt quite as much as a used car... came in at $ 46.00 but once a year for christmas its well worth,,

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Interesting link, however the final method the author recommends is just about opposite to what is easily obtainable in our WFOs. The slow cook followed by the hot sear would require refiring the WFO, doable but for most of us that would mean forgoing the baked pies etc baked in the WFO after the roast is out and "resting". He wants the reader to send the roast straight to the table from the oven.

Also anyone who has read or seen Julia Child on TV (or even simply seen the movie "Julie and Julia") knows to properly brown/sear meat one must dry the outside before placing it in a hot oiled pan. Odd that this pro simply didn't wipe/pat the roast dry before placing in the pan/roaster to sear in his trial. Anyone who has browned beef for stew knows it doesn't necessitate a length of time such that a half inch of the outside is "over cooked".

The author is certainly a better cook than I ever have any hopes of becoming but to miss basics like properly searing the meat is curious.

Wiley

Comment

Wow, I missed this thread. That's a delicious looking cut of meat Mark.

I like to reverse sear my meat too and I do it all the time in the kitchen and on the outdoor bbq grill. But I don't think this is practical with the WFO.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

hey fx,,,
                    pardon my ignorance.... but what is a reverse sear ??

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark......Reverse searing is where you basically take a piece of steak, cook it over low temp until almost desired internal temp is reached, then quickly sear over very high heat.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/635214
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

thanks f,,,

that would definitely be hard to do in a WFO....
                        however I will give it a try on the grill to see how it goes.. always like some new stuff

cheers
                        mark

Comment

Myself had roast turkey on the 25th. Lunchtime today it's turkey sandwhiches and later we're having turkey curry. Tomorrow it's turkey and mushroom pie and then in the evening we're having turkey Doener kebabs. In fact I'm sick of that bloody turkey.
                          Terry,,

Perhaps you should consider cooking a goose..... I can cook yours for you if you like.....

Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X