Australia floods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia floods

I know we have a few Aussies on the forum, and a few that I'm pretty sure are in the affected areas, especially since it seems so large. What say you?
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Re: Australia floods

75% of Queensland is under water, that is a massive land mass.
    Land area of Qld = 1,730,648 km2

Queensland Floods 2010-2011
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

to put it into perspective, QLD is about the same size as Alaska.
      -------------------------------------------
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

The scenes coming out of Queensland are really quite remarkable, with 8metre (26 feet) wall of water flowing down wiping everything away in its path. Peoples homes and livelihoods flooded 3 times in a year, total devistation. One dam west of Brisbane (the capital) is holding over 200% water capacity with over 6metres of water flowing over the spillway. Imagine the fallout should this dam fail! much of this water is on the western side of the Great Dividing Range (the mountain range that runs right up the eastern coast of Australia) and this will cause unbelievable floods throughout New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia over the next 2 to 3 months.
        We are all on watch, and every Australian is ready to help wherever they can. I am prepared to travel there if I can help especially friends and family who are affected.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

We went through the fires in 2009 and the images of the floods have brought back that feeling of dread in me and my wife, the floods are way off from here but I have the urge to get in the car and drive far far away....

You can see the radar here.
          http://www.bom.gov.au/products/natio...sat.loop.shtml

Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

We've been cut off, by road, from southern cities for weeks now. Fresh food has doubled in price, the supermarket shelves are looking sparse and my oven is not firing as efficiently because its constantly getting saturated despite its waterproof coating. Otherwise things are ticking along as normal, the $AU is still climbing and that makes overseas travel more attractive, can't wait for the next trip, I still have 8 weeks paid long service leave up my sleeve. We were surprised to learn that this is not a normal work entitlement in other countries.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Floods ravage Queensland

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I don't think we can comprehend the enormity of your predicament with what I will call your 500 year floods. I'm sitting here trying to think of a play on words to make you chuckle. Looking through my 20,000 word vocabulary, I do not find easy words that will help you persevere, to hang in there and not give up or run away. Words that would be effortless to say from a keyboard across the world in my easy chair.

The weather must turn around soon and take the pressure off the lowlands, the highways and your commerce. Then, you can lift your head and face the blue skies and find within yourselves the wherewithall to help your neighbors clean things up, get back on your feet and make your country work again.

To quote Winston Churchill, "Never give up"!

My best to my friends down under,
                you are in my thoughts and prayers
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I think January 26th (Australia Day) will be a big one this year.

Comment

well guys im in ipswich im 1 off the lucky or unlucky ones my house got water affected but only the lower shed level and not the house but my oven went under so like i said im lucky we have only just got power back on

the bad part for me is all my wood is soaked and covered in mud and i have 1 very wet oven

i went and got a heap off pine from my work today and ive lit a small fire in it and i'll keep it going through today and ramp it up over night and early tomorow morning to cook a feed for those that helped clean up

the wosrt part for me was with no power and no access to the other area's i didnt know what happened anywhere else until the water went down and i could go out and get supplies

man what a mess the total damage bill for me is a new fence and damage to my racecar and another rebuild off my engine which only got done 3 weeks ago

oh well we all ok and if the fence is all ive got to worry about then its all good there is a lot off people that arnt covered by insurance or there insurance company's arnt helping them like they should

cheers paul

Comment

If the Black Saturday fires are any indication ppl will still not have rebuilt or will still be fighting the insurance companies in 2 years time.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I really feel for the people in QLD that is going to be a big mess to clean up.... and yeah insurance companies suck!
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/o...-nz-14012.html

Comment

i know that donation money that was raised in the appeal has started to come through
                          and thanks guys

Comment

"to put it into perspective, QLD is about the same size as Alaska."

But way hotter !

Comment

We're about to be walloped by a cyclone and there is another one coming in behind it. Yowch!

Comment

Working...
                              X