Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Plate

Hey Guys
    Im looking to have a steel name plate with PIZZA OVEN made up, but i would love it in italian!

Or a similar saying related to wood fired oven?

Any help appreciated!

Also! no tricking me into getting something that says "Crappy Oven" in italian.

Re: Name Plate

"Forno a legna" is the expression the italians use (oven/ wood)
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      "Forno a legna" is the expression the italians use (oven/ wood)
      Thankyou Kind Sir! I shall post up the results soon! hopefully it works out

Comment

I think a sign on my Pompeii that says "Crappy Oven" in Italian would be funny as all get out!!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

So how are you planning on having the nameplate/sign made? Cast? Laser cut?

If you are looking for ideas, you might consider something I did when I made a maker's plate for a commercial gillnetter I built years ago. It was simple and relatively inexpensive. Go to a rubber stamp maker and have him make to a right reading stamp (stamps are wrong reading so that the stamped image is right reading...a right reading stamp if stamped comes out wrong reading).

Ask him to make the rubber part without lamination to a foam backing or with a handle. Then laminate the rubber stamp to a piece of plexiglass with rubber cement and bevel the outside edge of the plexiglass a few degrees so that it will easily release from a sand mold. Take that to your local caster and he will use it as a pattern. Using this you get to be as creative as you want using a computer. If you wish I can probably dig up my old pattern and take a photo. We had castings made for each side of the boat in cast aluminum.

Hope this helps,
          Wiley

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
            So how are you planning on having the nameplate/sign made? Cast? Laser cut?

If you are looking for ideas, you might consider something I did when I made a maker's plate for a commercial gillnetter I built years ago. It was simple and relatively inexpensive. Go to a rubber stamp maker and have him make to a right reading stamp (stamps are wrong reading so that the stamped image is right reading...a right reading stamp if stamped comes out wrong reading).

Ask him to make the rubber part without lamination to a foam backing or with a handle. Then laminate the rubber stamp to a piece of plexiglass with rubber cement and bevel the outside edge of the plexiglass a few degrees so that it will easily release from a sand mold. Take that to your local caster and he will use it as a pattern. Using this you get to be as creative as you want using a computer. If you wish I can probably dig up my old pattern and take a photo. We had castings made for each side of the boat in cast aluminum.

Hope this helps,
            Wiley
            Wow that sounds intense,

I was just going to grab the welder and a 5mm sheet of metal, and weld on the letters..

But i like your idea.. got any pics!

Comment

I had my fabricator cut this from 1/4" aluminum. It's two pieces held together with brass screws. Each piece was powdercoated seperatly. This and the Nome will be mounted above the arch opening for the oven door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	55 (Custom).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	287487

Comment

Djrljr,
                Aluminum plates with brass screws? I expect you will see some corrosion due to galvanic action (sometimes called electrolysis). I might suggest you consider switching the screws to cadmium plated steel or even stainless steel (with thin layer/coating of grease if using S.S.)
                Hoping to help,
                Wiley

Comment

chidding,
                  Here's some photos of what I did. Unfortunately I cannot find any photos of the plaques installed but I added some photos of the boat at her launching. They were not finished in time for the launch. This was back in 1989 and the pattern was the photopolymer cut mounted upon a piece of plexiglass. I added a photo of the edge view so you can see the pattern needs to be beveled on the edge to have some relief so it can be easily removed from the sand.

These were cast in sand and then gently belt sanded to flat the top surface. This was before I became a hobby printer and so I was not aware of the detail one can actually get using photopolymer. The detail limit is determined by the medium (sand) and the skill level of the person making the sand cast.

Photopolymer cuts cost about 50 cents a square inch unmounted (figured to the nearest rectangular shape). If you go this route be sure to make clear to the maker of the cuts what you will be using them for. I have included a photo of a right reading and wrong reading cut. In spite of lengthy discussion with the cut maker he still made the cut wrong reading, then realized his mistake and remade it before I picked it up. All you would need to supply to the maker is a black and white positive of what you want. He will make the negative etc.

Another idea if you know anyone into ceramics is that you could have the photopolymer cut made wrong reading (as if it were to be used as a stamp like they usually are used) and then impress this into a sheet of ceramic clay. Simply roll out the clay as if you were making cookies and then lay the photopolymer sheet upon the clay and gently roll it in with a rolling pin; remove dry and have it fired. That is one way alot of the hobby ceramics people make those cute signs that one sees for the garden. If you go this route you want the clay as dry as possible and still workable otherwise it will distort when drying.

You will notice the pattern says "Jeannette and David" I took the screen name Wiley when I joined three years ago because there were lots of David's on the Forum.

Hope this helps,
                  Wiley
                  Attached Files

Comment

I recently built a UDS (ugly drum smoker) pictured below and added a tin BBQ sign at the bottom.
                    Retro tin pizza signs are also available, but mainly for patio use. But a custom made sign for the wfo would be nice.
                    You can also easily fabricated one as mentioned in the above post.

George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Really appreciate all the design ideas.. having to rethink how im doing it now, alot of better ways to do it..
                      thanks guys!>. love this forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X