Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due.

How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due to a faulty internal chip.
    The charger locks out the battery after 3 tries so you are in effect left with a dead and useless battery.

The washers get warm when transferring the load from the charged battery, but only 20c above ambient.

The battery in question is only about 1 year old and has done very little work.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due to a faulty internal chip.
    The charger locks out the battery after 3 tries so you are in effect left with a dead and useless battery.

The washers get warm when transferring the load from the charged battery, but only 20c above ambient.

You will probably damage the battery this way. Lithium batteries require a different charging regime and the charging rate is quite important. Giving it full amps straight up is likely to wreck the battery. Your battery in question probably won't do very much more work. Won't you just end up with two flat useless batteries this way?
    Last edited by david s; 12-07-2013, 08:17 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Cool idea, I will have to try it on my dead one.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Ive just been out in the shed and run the multimeter over the charger, it wont send out voltage unless the chip in the battery is ok.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I guess if you can't charge the battery via the charger then it's useless anyway. A different charger hooked up via leads could be another option.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            I guess if you can't charge the battery via the charger then it's useless anyway. A different charger hooked up via leads could be another option.
            Refer to my original post. and you teach for a living.......?
            Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-07-2013, 10:51 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

you teach for a living.......?
              only part time teaching, so only part time comprehension.
              Last edited by david s; 12-08-2013, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Ive just been out in the shed and run the multimeter over the charger, it wont send out voltage unless the chip in the battery is ok.
                Gudday
                The battery itself doesn't have a chip that I'm aware off rather the charger has. If the battery has no charge at all the charger will not work and the light stays red. Jump a small charge from a live battery like you have done and the charger will the recognize the battery and charge it.
                Not sure how that battery will go though they diffinitly don't like being fully discharged for any length of time. The other thing that stuffs them is to chuck them in a charger when there still warm to the touch cause you have been using the drill hard.
                I'm waiting for the day that you get 3 batteries and a fast charger with every drill!
                Regards dave
                Last edited by cobblerdave; 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  The battery itself doesn't have a chip that I'm aware off rather the charger has. Jump a small charge from a live battery like you have done and the charger will the recognize the battery and charge it.
                  Not so, the charger recognizes the batteries, Ive done the jump off the other battery and both chargers refuse to charge the so called dud battery.
                  Also, there is a chip inside the battery.

There is a class action in the process against Makita for implementing such redundancy in the batteries.

If you had the internet Dave you could have researched it before posting.....

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  The other thing that stuffs them is to chuck them in a charger when there still warm to the touch cause you have been using the drill hard.
                  Thats why the modern chargers like the Makita have fans, they cool the battery before charging them.
                  Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-09-2013, 01:25 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
                    Well sounds like a dud ...... If you considering one of those repack kits you hear about let us know how you go.
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Planned redundancy, you gotta love it.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Ever think about returning it to the place you purchased it. Here, when I have a problem, I call the salesman and he comes to my jobsite OR house and takes care of problems that I might have with their products. They are excellent at resolving problems so that I do not have to guess what is wrong with my cordless tools. They cost "WAY TOO MUCH" to be fiddling around with them when you don't know what your doing! But that is just the "Troll speaking"! Better get the answers from the manufacturer--they know what the heck their talking about! Better you work with bricks and Portland than something that is so confusing like electricity!

Comment

Gudday
                          Sorry brickie I don't reach for a goggle search at all times , but I did at your suggestion. Among the clips of people trying to overload a makita overload saftey I did find some interesting info. Those makita Li-ion battery's indeed have a protection chip connected to one cell that will eventually flatten that cell and after 3 attempts at charging it shuts the the whole battery down permanently. Enforced redundancy all right and knowing the money there worth I recon your pretty frustrated. So what you have done is override the shut down chip with the chip from the other battery I supposse. But it is a protection chip to prevent battery melt down.
                          Be interested to see what makita does in the future, your suppose to be buying the best that's why you pay good money
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Best way to avoid this is to get a hand cranked drill

Comment

All manufacturers of power tools in Japan carry a one year warranty on the products that they produce. So back to my original post--contact the dealer you purchased the product for repairs. If you purchased it on line from the cheapest source, maybe your tool is not new or is a reject or China knock off. When you screw around with it yourself, you immediately void any warranties. Hitachi also has a great new impac driver 18V 4ah with all the bells and whistles. 4 speeds plus reverse, light switch option, battery level indicator, one of the speeds is for tex --fast start, then changes to slow for tapping function. AND COLORS ! White, Black, Pink, Green, Yellow! So you can keep track of the tools that are yours when working on a jobsite! Also, every manufacturer has English speaking staff to take care of your problems. You just have to ask when you initially make contact. "Can you speak English?", also in any written communication, they will respond in English as well. If in the end, you don't like the service, buy another brand!
                              Last edited by mikku; 12-10-2013, 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X