What is your oven worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your oven worth

My next-door neighbor was making fun of me while I was building my oven. He's from Mexico City and, as I headed into my second month of working on every free hour, told me, "In Mexico we build an oven in one day out of mud and when it cracks we just knock it down and build another one!" Gee, thanks buddy!

I still gave him pizza!

Comment

Interesting reading all the posts on this subject. I started my oven project a couple of months ago with no plans, just an idea and a few pictures i liked. Then I found this site (after the fact) and it has really opened my eyes to the potential. Working some weekends and days off the oven has gradually taken shape. I am now left with only the slate roof, chimmney and misc decorative slate tile and exterior grade mahogany to add a little character to the front facade. Originally I estimated about $2500 for the project, but like many who have posted here, I've blown that away. With landsaping etc it will be well over $4000. The formula I would use if I had to build this for a client would be to multiply the materials x 4 to arrive at a realistic number. If you are new to this, dont be discouraged though. I will be helping a friend build an oven shortly, our burget? under $500.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy1 View Post
        I will be helping a friend build an oven shortly, our burget? under $500.
        If you haven't already, check out DaveW's build. He built his oven on a shoestring.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Crikey RT. When I first read your post, I reckoned, in order, "Nuthin" and "Priceless".
          Our most expensive bits were the ceramic blanket and thermometer. Mate, we rebuilt over a pre-existing bbq, so costs were minimal. Possibly A$700?
          I must say that our local brickworks fellers worship FB, and they were just SO helpfull.
          (So let's hear it for BUNDABERG/WIDE BAY BRICKWORKS: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYAAAYa) [Bit short on breath, I stop.]

Our next oven will be based on river stone, and will probly cost much the same.Possibly $500 extra for the base, less $200 for the thermometer.

RT, if you're thinking of flogging your place, why not hit the Interested Parties with a Pizza Night?
          OK, so you've done that.
          Mate, cut your losses and smile at the pleasure you've had. Our present oven is approaching it's first birthday. (First? Second? Who cares, eh.)
          I don't know the building cost per meal, but the pleasure factor trancends fiscal considerations.
          Best I stop abusing big words wot I don't understand. From my perspective, though, I'd reckon a WFO, like a Scandinavian spa, would be worth four fifths of fukcall to the uniniated. We build 'em for ourselves and friends, eh.
          My 2 cents worth
          Jeff the Luddite.

Comment

Interesting topic. I have been keeping a detail of all the materials for my oven, including base, hearth and dome (see attached).

Total material cost AUS$2,195

Some friends have asked me how much for me to build a WFO for them, It have to be between AUS$10,000-AUS$15,000 before I would even think about doing it.

Jase
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X