Mead made with wild yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mead made with wild yeast

Hi Frances, sounds like you've got a winner with the blackberry wine!

Here (below) is the recipe I used for mead, as originally worded ? it seems to exist in a number of places on the ?net so I don?t think it?s a problem to post it here and I have included the name of the person originally responsible for posting it. Though I can?t vouch for how it will turn out, I saw a number of reports from people who had tried this recipe and they seemed happy with the results. It?s supposed to be an almost fool-proof recipe, great for beginners, and produces a good end product.

This recipe is apparently very unorthodox in it?s use of bread yeast (most use special wine yeast strains) and I have to say, from what I?ve read, wild yeast in particular seems to be considered an enemy to wine, or at least mead fermentation (as is too much air in the jug, certain bacteria, chlorine and light) ? go figure ? not really sure about the ?ancient? appellation either ?

Anyway, so far, mine?s bubbling away ? and smelling kind of like orange furniture polish, but it seems that?s normal at this stage.

What proportion of honey did I add? Well, this recipe is for an imperial gallon ? that?s 160 fluid ounces (4.54 litres), or 10 pounds. The honey in this recipe accounts for about one third of that (3.5 lbs / 1.5 litres) ? so honey to water is 1:2 (our recipes sound quite similar).

I used 25 golden raisins (they?re what we had and I decided to be precise with my first effort), 1 clove (I read where who used more than 1 or 2 were not happy they had), 2 sticks of cinnamon (they were small ones), a touch of allspice and no nutmeg (not a favourite of mine). I also took the rind off the orange and removed the white pith, since I have read the pith can make things bitter. I put only the inner orange and the outer rind in the jug. I don?t know if your bread yeast is Fleishmann?s, but it just means those tiny little beads of the dry kind.

Good luck if you try it!

Sarah

Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange Mead

This is a great first Mead for the novice as it is almost fool-proof.

3? lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
    1 large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
    1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
    1 stick of cinnamon
    1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
    optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice - very small)
    1 teaspoon Fleishmann?s bread yeast (now don't get holy on me - after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
    Balance water to one gallon

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights - add orange (you can push em through opening - rinds included ? it?s ok for this mead - take my word for it - ignore the experts).

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. (Need room for some foam - you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. (No, you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary - just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not - the yeast can fight for their own territory.)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone, except it?s okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.)

Racking --- Don't you dare
    additional feeding --- NO NO
    More stirring or shaking ? You?re not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that - you are not so important after all.) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet.) Likes a little heat (70-80F). If it didn't work out ... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away). If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
    If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey - this recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.

Enjoy, Joe

Comment

It's been 4 weeks and the activity in my little brown jug in the kitchen has slowed considerably - one airlock blurp every 12 or 13 seconds, as compared to one per second, or faster, when the yeast first got going. The smell has mellowed too.

I had a little sip last week - made me think 'watery orange beer' in a vague sort of way - clearly not done yet, but not unpleasant either.
      I have a feeling it'll be done before 4 more weeks go by ...

Now I'm eying the ripe plums on my trees and wondering what I can do with those. I've been trying to figure out what kind they are - cherry-to-crabapple size, yellow with a very rosy overlay on the ripe ones, incredibly sour skins but really sweet pulp with a wonderful flavour! Some variety of Mirabelles maybe? Anyway, I think they may end up as preserves to put on some WFO bread ... but maybe plum brandy ... maybe both, if I can salvage some more .

Comment

They sound like Mirabelles to me. Plum brandy, eh? Mmmmmm, be sure to post the recipe and tell me how it turns out.

Its funny you should post this just now, as I've been thinking about updating my mead/wine experiences, too.

So far I've started five fermentations with sourdough, three mead and two blackberry wine. Two of them went wrong: one blackberry started smelling of rotten eggs , and one mead smelt of nail varnish remover... this may have had something to do with using a pastic bowl which formerly held stuff for the compost. Hey, I did clean it first!

Talking of which, this seems like a really usefull page:
        Winemaking: Wine Problems

The other three fermentations however started bubbling away like mad and didn't stop until every last bit of sugar had been consumed... seems the wild yeast is quite alcohol resistent. Which means I get a very dry and quite alcoholic result. It needs to be sweetened with honey before drinking, at least for drinking right away.

I've only been making small try-out batches so far, so I've only got a bottle each of wine and mead for maturing. And since I'm not adding any chemicals or anything to stop the fermentation, maturing might not work too well.

But I'd like to keep it all as simple and natural as possible. My thinking is that if you're using the ambient wild yeast from the sourdough, you don't have to worry about cantamination from wild yeasts... and so don't have to keep it all hermetically sealed off every step of the way. So, three out of five... is that a good result or not?

We like the taste of it so far anyway (adding hops to mead was a mistake though! ), so I'll keep on experimenting.

Pit we can't try each others' meads, Sarah. I'd love to know what yours tastes like!
        Last edited by Frances; 09-15-2008, 12:48 AM.
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Sounds like your meads are working out pretty well for the most part and you're right, it's too bad we can't exchange samples somehow ... I'm certain I could pack a small bottle well enough to survive the journey but I'm not sure whether it would get intercepted en route by customs and cause problems ...

No plums for brandy, as I massacred the few plums available for harvest in trying to make plum jam the old fashioned way, without pectin - it did not set but that was irrelevant since the skins (left on in ignorance) made it unbelievably sour!!!

Think I'll stick with mead and WFO cooking for now!
          I've found some interesting research on fermented drinks and different yeasts but I want to see how the first batch finishes up before deciding what to do for my second.

About the mead that smelled like nail varnish remover - that's not necessarily a bad thing from what I've read, but more indicative of a stage in the process when certain ingredients are used, meaning only that it will need to age for longer than some others. If you still have it on hand, just put it away for a few more months. The rotten egg one, however - goodbye!

Comment

I keep bees and have most of my life. I have about ten gallons of honey headed to the mead bottles.
            I have kept bees in suburbia and in the true urban environs rooftop beekeeping is done round the world particularly in italy and France. Honey production is not as prolific in the city
            Bees are fascinating and fun you can spend a lifetime at the art

mead should be made with a vapor trap
            berryst
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you've made mead before!
              Now Frances and I know who to call if we run into mead troubles ... or start keeping bees ...
              Let us know how you make out with your mead project goes!

Comment

I've had fun catching up on this thread because I also have those same ideas/plans/dreams. Whether they pan out is another thing. We have just one hive of bees and haven't bothered them taking their honey because we've killed off other hives in the past and this one is doing so well. It's near my husband's garden and for now we're just glad to have the bees doing their job pollinating.

Just 3 days ago I began my first attempt at making wine. We had a bunch of damsons and blackberries and you can only eat so much jam and preserves so I decided to try my hand at wine. I've always wanted to do this. Today is my 3rd day fermenting. All is going as planned. My basement smells like fermenting fruit. I like it. This batch should make 5 gallons of wine but I read that damson wine isn't any good till it has aged 1 to 3 years. What?!!!! How can I wait that long? Maybe I should try meade, hmmm, hadn't thought of that. Oh, I also have some damson gin in my cupboard which should be ready by Christmas. Am I starting to sound like a heavy drinker? Winter is coming and we need to keep warm somehow if there's not enough firewood.

Now about goats and chickens......I want some of those too. I want chickens for their meat and eggs but the goats I just want because I love 'em. I had one for a pet as a teenager and I've loved them ever since. Now if I can convince my husband that they have a use (not to eat). I'm not quite sure how I'd feel about killing chickens either after they've been in my yard for a while.

Comment

There's a goat at the barn where I board the horses. He's into everything and climbs on top of anything he hasn't eaten already.. including cars.

If you really look at a chicken's eyes, I don't think they look very friendly. I doubt I'd have too much trouble sending one to the big soup pot in the sky.

Do you have any trouble from your neighbors about the bees? I worry that my neighbors will have a cow about them if I get some. All the websites talk about educating the people who live next door, but I don't know...
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

We don't have many neighbors close by. We live in a rural area and many people have bees. About a 1/2 mile from here one of our "neighbors" must have at least 30 hives. We probably don't even need them for pollination since they have so many but maybe one day we'll collect their honey. Maybe you can educate your neighbors by telling them they need the bees if they want their trees, flowers and gardens to bloom. Unless your neighbors have young children I bet they wouldn't mind.

I'm glad to hear that about chickens. I've never gotten to know one.

Yeah, I know that about goats. They're also great escape artists and they require some sort of shelter so that's something else I'd have to build. For now I'll just stick with dogs and a parrot for pets and maybe try chickens first.

Comment

oh man. My husband has a parrot. African conure, actually. The stupid thing shrieks all the @$#% time, hates everyone but him, and is at least 35 years old. I don't think it will ever die. I keep threatening it with the WFO, but it just looks at me with those beady eyes and then says BRAACK!

Maybe this bird has some bearing on my feelings about chickens...
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Hmmmm, maybe I shouldn't take your word about chickens. I have an African Grey parrot. He's hysterically funny, but then I'm his mom. He doesn't shriek (much). He talks LOTS though.

Comment

I finally bottled my mead ... which actually tastes pretty good!

Six small hock bottles, 2 grolsch bottles and some leftover stuff in the jug that will likely get filtered and drunk fairly soon.

I may do this again, or maybe even some red wine - better with pizza.

Comment

Gosh, you've been busy! That looks fantastic, lovely colour. So, how does mead go with moose then?

I've sort of given up on the idea of mead made with wild yeast, the last lot started smelling of nail varnish remover, too. - the first two small batches worked fine but since then, garbage.

So what I'm going to do next is follow the recipe you posted, to the letter. Hey, if I get going it might even be ready in time for Xmas!
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Not sure about mead & moose ... didn't mix the two!

That's too bad about your wild yeast meads Frances - it's do-able, as your first batch proved, but too unpredictable I guess. If you try my recipe, I wouldn't count on it in time for Christmas, however, it will certainly give a nice Yuletide aroma to your kitchen this year, and be more than ready to drink the next! I am trying to refrain from drinking it, or giving away my meagre supply (lots of hints from interested parties that they would like a bottle to try) until it matures for a few months, since everything I've read suggests it'll be a whole lot better after 6 months to a year of storage ... guess I just need to make another batch.

I was going to try a batch of mead with rosehips, as I had seen a fantastic crop of them on city property and know they had not been treated with pesticides but on a recent trip past that site i discovered that they had all been cut back and were gone - darn!

However, a recent visit to a wine & food show has me wondering how to get the concentrated juice out of frozen apples for a batch of ice cider ...

Comment

Homebrewing can be addictive can't it? As soon as my first batch of wine was fermenting I was ready to start another. I have 5 gallons of damson/blackberry, 1 gallon of pear and 5 gallons of wineberry brewing. Most of it won't be ready to drink for at least a year. I'm glad I made some damson gin which was ready to drink in just 3 months. All I had to do with it is pierce the damsons and put them in gin with sugar added, shake and wait. It was delicious. I highly recommend it.

Maybe I'll have to try mead or ice cider next.

Comment

Working...
                                X