Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Heating The House***

Hi All,
    Was discussing this in another thread, Had I the forethought, I would have put my WFO in the house, or connected, Maybe ?

Question Now is, Has anyone come up with a way to alter a WFO to possibly pump heat into the house over the winter,

My first thought would be a copper pipe system, Insulated of course, to a radiator ? I know there has to be some kind of pressure relief ?

My Thoughts are to put a cast iron radiator/kettle ? in the oven and pipe hot water to the house to another radiator ? I would keep a live fire in the oven I would open the pipes and let the water circulate after the cooking so as to not draw off too much heat from the cooking time...

Maybe just a pipe dream ? But would love to hear some thoughts as I can get wood way cheaper than natural gas.....

Thanks for endulging me.

Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 09-14-2009, 05:00 AM.

Re: ***Heating The House***

Build a new oven inside.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I heard a rumor at work here that there is a restaurant in Carmel (CA) that had pipes run from their WFO to heat the outside patio. Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the restaurant or contractor who did it. But it sounds doable.
      Ed

Comment

1) Use a heat exchange (which is pretty much what you're describing).
        2) Build one of these: The Masonry Heater Association Home Page - Information on masonry heaters, manufacturers, and masonry heater builders (Better yet, get one built. They are tricky)
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

This is the kind of Item im looking for, Found on ebay for 149.00,,,, Now its gonna take some time for reading, planning Making sure I dont blow the house up, Etc,,,,

Mark
          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM.

Comment

The English, who often used their Aga and Rayburn cookers as house heaters, had quite a complicated loop system, with an expansion tank, between the in-cooker coil and the room radiator. I think you need to keep the water circulating even when you're not calling for heat. These cookers were kept burning all day and all night: Do you use your oven enough to justify this complicated plumbing system?

Also, don't forget the redneck pool heater:

Anything is possible...
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

David,
              First off is the redneck pool heater for real,,, Do I use the oven enough to heat the house ?, No,,, But I think I heat the house enough to use the oven for cooking..Im not trying to be a smart a**.... Just trying to get some more bang for my buck... I have a large amount of free wood available yearly, and my thoughts are if I can heat the house without hurting the oven or maybe build an outdoor fire box/heater it might be worth my while....
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                David,
                First off is the redneck pool heater for real,,
                Mark
                Is this it ?

It probably goes with the Redneck grill in the next picture
                Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Why not just put in a wood burning stove? Mine works great. It would be easier and a hell of a lot less $$.

Les...
                  Last edited by Les; 09-15-2009, 05:36 PM.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I think I saw an infomercial on that first pic......they were calling it the Drunken Dumb ASS Burner; or was it the Drunken DUMBass burner?...can't remember which.

Gives new meaning to "chestnuts roasting on an open fire"

RT

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                      Why not just put in a wood burning stove? Mine works great. It would be easier and a hell of a lot less $$.
                      Just trying to make use of what I Had and Would prefer to have something outside the house for safety reasons,, I was a volunteer FF, Rescue Squad and Haz Mat Tech. for over 10 years, I have seen first hand what can happen in a fire that is left un attended, I know most wood stoves now have upgraded their safety levels incredibly, Just would feel better if it was away from the house,,, I hope I will get to it this year,

I found a few other sites with some good info, so I can read up more over there... where they are more familiar with this kind of thing,

As I said I have an almost unlimited wood supply, My money supply is not as good.... So If I can get heat and hot water out of a system, might be a great thing,,,

Mark

Comment

P..S.. Dmun and brokencookie,

Where did you find those pics, They are hysterical,, Should re post them in humor. Or can you move them over there david ?

Thanks
                        Mark

Comment

I caught hold of that picture years ago on here: it must be pretty popular, "redneck pool heater" popped up pretty quickly as a suggestion when I started typing on google images.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Check out the redneck hot tubs via google
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You can find all kinds of handyman fixes and failure pictures on these sites

There, I Fixed It: Epic Kludges + Jury Rigs

FAIL Blog: Epic Fail Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments

Try not to hurt yourself laughing
                              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Working...
                              X