***Miniature Wood Gasifier***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ***Miniature Wood Gasifier***

lost the post I made last night,, Here it is again, Made another experiment tonight... a 1 qt. paint can, some plumbing supplies and some fire.. Here is my updated wood gasification system...(great name for a paint can with pipe) This thing burned on its own for about 15 minutes.... It was very cool,...

pic 1, paint can full of wood chunks.
    pic 2, after 2-3 mins in the chiminea, right on the coals starting to make gas
    pic 3 , the gas burning

Love to hear your thoughts
    Cheers
    Mark
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Why not wrap the exhaust back under the retort and use it to make the reaction self sustaining? That is the best part about Pyrolysis to me, once it get's going it is self sustaining.

Now a safety note. The other day I decided to scale up a previous experiment. Scale up being the key phrase. What went well with maybe a 1/2 cup of oil turned into a raging fireball as tall as my garage with a 1/2 gallon. Needless to say I had to take the hose to my experiment, so I fished out the old apparatus last night and will try it again on the smaller scale. The funny thing is I almost did the experiment in my oven, after I had to put it out, I mentioned to my brother in law that if we HAD done it in the oven, we would be eating pizza right now, lol.

Comment

shu,
        im not sure i understand,,, Your saying run the pipe back under the can and lay the pipe in the fire,, or ??

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words right? LOL

Obviously these are much larger, they are actually used to make charcoal for a forge, but the concept is the same. What you have is a retort, and in it you have a pyrolysis reaction happening. The cool thing about this reaction is once you get the reaction started(by getting the temperature high enough, for oil I've found this to be about 800F) it can be made self sustaining by routing the exhaust gases back under the retort and using them to keep the temperature in the range it needs to be. So done like this, once you have ignited gas coming out the exhaust, you could actually remove the retort from the fire and it would keep going, and when it stops, you know the reaction is done and all your biomass(wood in this case) has been converted to char and all the volatiles(the flamable exhaust gases) have been driven off.

Comment

so you would still be able to use the gasses ? just their heat keeps it going ? Sorry Im just having a tuff time getting my brain around this, As for tonights episode, I made a sawdust stove out of a big tin can, You cut small hole in the bottom, put a pipe in horizantally and vertically and pack sawdust around them,, remove slowly and Instant sawdust stove, I lit it with a propane torch and right now its boiling water...
            Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

If you want to use the gas for something that is a different story. As I said before, right now you have a retort. Unless you want the gas for some reason, or want the char for some reason, it isn't doing you any good making gas cause it is costing you fuel to generate the heat to make the gas. The gas it is currently making is flammable, but it is very dirty and full of tars, you wouldn't want to run a engine on it for instance, and although you can burn it for heat that doesn't make much sense considering you are already generating heat to generate the gas.

This is where full blown gasification comes in. The pyrolysis happening in your retort is the first step of gasification. Next, a gasifier exposes the char and the volatile gases to oxygen together. The heat from the burning volatiles drives a reaction between the char, oxygen, and water vapor which creates Carbon Monoxide and Hydrogen. This is the gas that they run engines on. Again, like pyrolysis, this is a self sustain reaction once it get's going so long as it has something generating airflow through it, be it a blower, engine, or natural draft.

Hope this helps, I know it took me a long time and a lot of reading to wrap my head around all this.

Comment

shub,,
                Its getting clearer thanks, I do have intention of eventually using the gas to either power a generator or what i've seen even cooler is running it directly to the boiler in the house.. (i know thats a far way off right now) but the eventual goal IS the use of the gas..
                Thanks
                Mark

Comment

Hi all,,,

Starting to make some progress on my Wood Gas Generator, Here's a few pics..

Cheers
                  Mark
                  Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Here are a few pics of the full scale wood gasifier i am working on now....

Comment

Dumb question # 3945: So, when people run cars on wood, is this how they do it?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

how is that new welder working out?
                        that looks like a project I could really get into,
                        (like I really need another project)
                        remember to send me some new pics of your welds when you get a chance.

Comment

This sounds like an interesting topic but I have to say I am a bit confused too...

Why doesn't the heating fire produce the light directly?

Rossco
                          / Rossco

Comment

So, when people run cars on wood, is this how they do it?
                            Hey arch, This is the beginning of it, There's a a lot more work to go....
                            how is that new welder working out?
                            that looks like a project I could really get into,
                            Hey Mike, Welds are getting better, as far as getting involved, trust me you will be shortly.....(snickering)
                            This sounds like an interesting topic but I have to say I am a bit confused too...

Why doesn't the heating fire produce the light directly?
                            Hey Rossco,
                            I have to admit that im still a bit confused about this as well, best I can describe is you heat the wood in an semi enclosed envionment, Heating the wood causes an action called pyrolisis which releases the flammable gases from the wood, charring the wood but not actually burning it, the gases are the pulled out and burned or used to run an engine,furnace, etc... go to youtube and do a search for wood gas and you can actually see video's of people running cars on wood gas or syngas.
                            Cheers
                            Mark

P.S. During the fuel shortages of WWII many people converted their cars to run on wood gas or coal gas.....

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Mark ...

I checked some buy burning around on a wood gas powered lawn tractor on youtube.

Interesting experiment but I don't think I'll be converting my Suzuki swift to wood gas any time soon!!!

Rossco
                              / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                                thanks arch, you can email them if you would, I appreciate it, ThisOldGarageNJ@Gmail.com and I have no Idea what delicious is ??

Cheers guys,
                                Mark
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	doh.gif
Views:	3
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	279253 I really should reread these things before posting again.

I missed this the first time, Mark. Delicious is a social bookmarking site. The idea is that you can see other people's bookmarks. Check it out: Delicious.

If you add me to your network (I don't have to approve it since I can control what I do and don't want available to others) you can search my bookmarks in Delicious - they are organized by tags instead of files. For example, if you look in my tags under BrickOvens you'll find all the links I've bookmarked on things related to brick ovens (and some masonry - I need to reorganize some stuff. ). Try 'Energy' for my stuff on alternative energy sources. I have quite a few (those who don't have their own yards research! )
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X