Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Lawrence Market, Toronto

James,

Finally remembered to take my camera when visiting the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto, but I failed miserably to get an exterior shot.

My particular cross to bear is Alex Farms for cheese. The choices are just as bewildering as the prices. It's there that Wendy found St. Agur, a reasonably priced creamy French blue cheese that's truly wonderful. It's a dangerous place for me, especially with a credit card. It's really, really busy on a Saturday, and I had to wait for a lull to get the photos. The staff is extremely knowledgeable about cheeses from around the world, and it's a treat to go there. Joe Engineer blew a bundle at Alex's for a tiny piece of ancient cheese.

The market space is quite large, with many speciality meat, fish, cooking gear, bagels, spices vendors on two floor. One vendor in the basement sells only rice and beans of about a zillion different kinds. The Parma ham on the first floor is excellent. The choices reflect the intensely multicultural makeup of the city.

St. Lawrence in the eastern part of the city near the lakefront is completely enclosed, unlike the Kensington market in the western portion of the city. That's the place where there are two empanada sellers, directly across the street from one another. It's also the home of Global Cheese, the place that XabiaJim remembers. Next time I'm there I'll get some pics.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Re: St. Lawrence Market, Toronto

Jim, Alex Farms is my favourite too. I spend a bundle every time I visit there.
    Did you try the Beemster yet - Aged Gouda from Holland - my current favourite.
    If you like a triple creme cheese try "Brillat-Savarin" At a recent dinner party I served this after the meal and my friends went nuts over it. By the way, I did receive the Malt Powder and have sent you a note back. Thanks so much.
    Linda

Comment

Linda,

Haven't tried the aged Gouda yet, but I've been buying the triple creme for some time now. Brilliant! Glad you agree on the destination, and I, too, spend a bundle there, but it's worth it.

Jim

Comment

Exterior, interior, history, vendors: everything you need to know about the St. Lawrence Market is here: St. Lawrence Market Home Page. Also, home of the quintessential Toronto breakfast, peameal bacon on a bun ('though the kaiser buns are nothing like the ones that come out of the MaryG oven!). Every time I go to the market I feel immensely sorry for all the people in the world that don't live here

And by the way, Alex Farms now has about 6 or 7 outlets around town, so you're never more than a few minutes away from making your palate and your credit card company happy.
        Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Yes, Alfredo I've visited one other branch of Alex's Farm on Bayview. Great store also. For anyone who is a lover of cheese as I am, and lives in the Toronto Area, there is a fabulous Cheese Education course put on by the Artisan Cheese Marketing Board. artisancheesemarketing.com. It leads to certification and there are three levels. My reason for taking the course was only for my own personal knowledge and completing the first level was enough for me. It runs one night a week for 8 weeks at the Faculty Bldg. U. of T.
          We tasted new cheeses every week - about 8 per week. So now at least when I visit Alex Cheese or any other cheese monger I have a little prior knowledge and know if I'm getting my cheese a' point.

Comment

There are some great cheese places in Kensington market I have got buffalo mozza there. A little pricy but still good. Coco bread with a spicey beef patty is something that shouldn't be missed.

Comment

Beamer,

Yep, you're right about Kensington. I like Global Cheese there. After, it's time for an empanada, a roti, a beef patty or some such. Too many choices. It's fine to have any one of them outside on a patio in summer with a cold Red Stripe, or Keith's, or even a Canadian.

Jim

Comment

sure I blew a bundle on it but it was for a good cause, our discerning paletts. And the cheese was worth it in my opinion

Comment

looks like heaven to me

we have a cheese shop in the Adelaide Central Market called "The Stinky Cheese shop".....ahhh the smell of aged cheeses
                  I'm stuck on aged parmesan at the moment.....but a quality gouda sounds good too
                  Cheers
                  Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Bacterium,

A friend was coming to visit with her husband. Asked what she could bring to complement dinner, I said, "stinky cheese." They showed up with a wedge of an English cheese called "Stinking Bishop." It sure was stinky, not sure about the bishop part.

Jim

Comment

Jim that name is funny...... "stinking bishop"

I'm just sitting down eating some Tasmanian Camembert ....not really that stinky but it is "hitting the right spot"
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

CanuckJim,
                        If you can't avoid we Luddite/Phillistine types, please continue to gently educate us eh.
                        What more could a scruffy dog ask?
                        Jess, (the luddite "master's" dog).

Comment

Jeff,

Continue your--and my--stinky cheese education by following this link:
                          Cheese dating - Times Online

Clears the sinus cavities, eh?

Jim

Comment

Ahhhh ... that article brought back fond memories of my visit to London three years ago, where I stumbled upon the Paxton & Whitfield cheese shop in Jermyn Street and thought I was in heaven. But hell was that I did not have access to a refrigerator and could not begin to satisfy my desire to buy all the cheeses I could never get my hands on here! I came back with a stilton scoop and an olivewood bowl as mementos.
                            I've since discovered that you can shop on-line from P&W but haven't yet found out if they can ship to Canada, or how prohibitive the cost would be. Whatever - it's in my top 10, next time I'm in London.
                            Thanks for the atricle - and the memories!!

Sarah

Comment

Sarah,

Jermyn Street? Gosh, posh and grand. As a student, I once picked up a handsome shirt in a men's toff emporium there, only to be told, through his nose, by the clerk in tails that it cost more than my next three months' flat rent. Whoops. Been to that cheese shop, noooooo!

Jim
                              Last edited by CanuckJim; 02-18-2008, 10:06 AM. Reason: typoiiis

Comment

Working...
                              X