Framing Question - Kinda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing Question - Kinda

I'm in desperate need of cheap, temporary storage. I came across a chicken coop that I want to build but I'm not sure of the bottom frame.

The plans are here: https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#inbox

You can see the horizontal bracing. I plan on actually putting in a floor - probably nothing more than some 1x6 or 1x8's tacked down since it isn't going to be permanent by any means. I'm pretty sure the flooring will dispense with the need for diagonal bracing but I'm not positive. Is the bracing there for anything other than to prevent racking?

Thanks, guys!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Framing Question - Kinda

Your link just goes to the gmail homepage.

If you need a temporary shed, keep an eye on craigslist. They show up from time to time, cosmetically distressed, but still perfectly sound.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hmm, stupid PDF.

This one is to pics of a completed one - but the plan link is in the text.

Hoop Coops: How To Build a Chicken Coop from Lightweight Cattle Panels

The Craigslist idea is a good one but it won't work for me - unless someone wants to throw in shipping. I can't transport very large items - my Corolla with trailer has limits. I don't want to pay a lot transporting because I'm saving for the eventual (I hope) big move. Tractor Supply is only a few miles away and Lowes is even closer (we don't have a mall or a Chick Fillet, but we have massive home improvement center and huge farm supply - go figure) so I can transport building supplies far more readily than an actual building.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Conversely, posting the right link in the first place might be helpful. Click image for larger version

Name:	argh.gif
Views:	2
Size:	904 Bytes
ID:	279816

http://www.plamondon.com/hoophouse.pdf

[/CENTER]

Comment

I think that a standard grid of two-by-fours, secured with three inch drywall screws, and covered with plywood will be your best bet for the floor. What's in the drawing seems really flimsy, particularly if you're going to drag it around as a chicken tractor.

I think your biggest challenge will be to get it waterproof. If possible, you may want to consider overhanging the fencing material over the side walls, to give eves at either end.

Could be neat. Sort of an impromptu quonset hut.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Or unit pavers / paving stones.

Comment

Thanks, guys!

You know, I had thought of that on the way home today, Neil. I've even figured out the number of pavers and estimated the cost (Walmart's website is useless - but I'd bought one recently). I think I'll use the pavers as the foundation/floor (16x16 = roughly $98) and use a few 1x6's to keep it from racking.

The overhang is a good idea - I was gonna end up with a few inches anyway. I think I can wrangle a few more.

Thanks a lot - I really appreciate it!
              Last edited by Archena; 03-20-2010, 06:31 PM.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hey Arch,
                Here is a link for you to build your shed for nothing.... these guys are very imaginative Building a shed from recycled wooden palletsdo a google search for pallet shed and you will find a ton of plans... Around here we can get piles of pallets for free... and you can fit a lot on your trailer..
                Cheers
                Mark

Comment

Thanks, but I don't have a local source for pallets - believe me, I've looked. I couldn't even find one further afield. Same problem I have with Neil's 'tire as dog toy' suggestion - recycling is making it hard to find materials to recycle!

I had seen that link (and ScreenGrab*-bed it long since). I may build something like that someday - if I ever have a source of pallets.

* ScreenGrab - yet another cool add-on from Firefox!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                  X