Roof Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Insulation

I'm trying to think of a cheap way to insulate a metal shed roof. I want to use one as a place for the dogs to go when it's cold. I was thinking of using straw bales to insulate the walls (on the outside to prevent accidents) but that would only rot out the roof faster. I suppose I could put half bales on the roof and then a roof atop that but that's a lot of work for something I don't want to spend a lot on. A tarp might work but would probably get blown off in the first thunderstorm.

Eventually, I'll build a cob shed to replace it - which wouldn't have the same problems. But I doubt I will get it done by next winter so I'm trying to think of something cheap that will work for a year or two.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Roof Insulation

hi
    the gold miners at kiandra in the 1850's lived in tents. they had a fly ie a tarp as a second roof over the tent and stuffed the space between the tent and fly with brush.
    kiandra gets very cold, it is actually the birthplace of skiing in oz. i have seen it with snow drifts up 20 feet deep.
    just a thought

dave ly

Comment

Hi,

Thanks! it's actually a good thought - and really interesting to know. But we get a lot of thunderstorms here so I'll have to figure out a really good tie down - still not a bad idea at all and something I could easily redo when it got wet.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

If it were mine I'd fix metal studs to the inside against the walls, infill with fiberglass insulation then sheet it. The same for the roof. But this would be some expense, not exactly a really cheap option.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

If I were doing something permanent, that sounds like the way to go. but I'm planning on buying something cheap just to get by with for two years max - hopefully no more than one. Long term, I want to build permanent dog houses from cob. With good baffles and insulation, they should be more than warm enough for anything north of zero.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Yes, building a permanent shed would be the best solution. But for the time being I'll suggest you to go for fiberglass insulation. Moreover, you can also checkout SIPs material.

Comment

Build a permanent shed would be the best solution.

Comment

Try going to a cabinet shop and scrounging big sheets of bubble wrap .. 2 layers gives you a good temp. insulation .. out of the sun they last . Fiberglass gets riddled with mice and squirels unless you seal it off 100% with solid wood or metal . -13c today in the valley , how cold can it get in 'Bama ?
                Last edited by fornax hominus; 12-04-2014, 07:05 AM. Reason: hyphen not underscore !

Comment

It rarely drops below 20F here. This week nights are in the 30's - last week nights were in the 50's and days in the 80's!

The one constant about Alabama's weather it that it changes... Really fast!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                  X