Pavers vs Concrete slabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pavers vs Concrete slabs

Carl and I had a brief discussion about pavers vs concrete slabs for patios and I'd like to continue the dialog here. Anyone is welcome to jump in.

Specifically, I was talking about patios that are located in freeze thaw zones. I maintain that dry set pavers,stone,clay or concrete units bedded in crushed, washed stone... are a much better choice than a concrete slab in these areas. Carl, I seriously would like to know what makes you feel like a concrete slab better than pavers in freeze thaw zones.

I maintain that if all things are equal...base material, subsoil conditions, climate... pavers are the better choice in every way except initial cost...but not long term cost. Because if the paver patios you saw that were heaved, I guarantee that a concrete patio would have heaved too.

I've seen a few good slabs up here...minimal cracking and settling. But even the best of them will not hold their beauty. And every single concrete patio will crack somewhere other than the control joint eventually. Once you have one crack, it's never going away. I don't know how much time you've spent in freeze thaw zones, and I'm not doubting your experience. What I'm doubting the quality of the paver installs you saw. The same could be said of the bad slabs I've seen right? However....

Unit patios are a flexible system. A dry set paver patio is flexible....Concrete slabs are not. As you know, earth in a freeze thaw zone is dynamic...it demands a flexible system if you are looking at overall quality and longevity of a patio. Both kinds of patios demand good subsoil prep, drainage and good base material.

But those facts cancel each other out and provide no advantage to either system. Because if either system isn't preped correctly, it will fail. Which brings me back to the main point...the material itself. Once a (dry set) paver patio is classed as 'failed' what do you have? All the material. What do you have with a heaved or cracked up concrete patio? A dumpster full of busted up concrete. I have seen paver patios that were a total loss....when they were installed over a concrete slab in a mortar bed. To me, that type of installation is an even bigger maintenance headache than a plain concrete patio...not to mention more expensive than a dry patio or concrete slab.

So, I'm curious as to what reasoning can you provide that supports your opinion that a concrete patio is better than pavers in a freeze thaw zone? Remember, I'm talking about a dry set paver patio, not one bedded in mortar over a concrete slab.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Re: Pavers vs Concrete slabs

If we are looking at non freeze thaw zones, then the only advantage a concrete patio has over pavers is cost...that's it.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

I would go with pavers regardless of the zones. There are two facts about concrete - it WILL crack and nobody will steal it...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Steal it .... Hell you have to pay people lots of money to take it away when you do not want it any more.
        Chip

Comment

I think sometimes people just like the look of one over the other. I prefer the clean lines of concrete. I know cracking is inevitable. But I personally would rather put up with cracking versus the ants that I've seen that come with pavers. I don't know if it's because of where we live or what - but everyone I know that has pavers, complains of being inundated with ants.

Comment

Chip if you need to get rid of concrete they will take it for free at the Barton sand and gravel recycling area. You have to bring it there, but it is free. I would bet there are others around the country.

Randy

Comment

Chip if you need to get rid of concrete they will take it for free at the Barton sand and gravel recycling area. You have to bring it there, but it is free. I would bet there are others around the country.

Randy

Comment

Yes, I have taken lots of concrete chunks there over the years. Always an interesting drive back into there to find the current dump site, and interesting being the smallest vehicle in the area.

Here is a trick for dumping concrete
                Put down a layer of dry sand on the bed of trailer /truck box (acts like little ball bearings) it does not take much just a few shovel scoops spread out.
                Put some scrap plywood down small pieces in a single layer work best 2x2 or 2x 4 ft because you can pull them out of the pile later.
                place an old tire or wheel at the front of your trailer/truck bed. On top of the plywood bigger tire is better
                Wrap a heavy rope or chain around the tire. The chain/rope needs to be long. Make sure the chain is accessible from the back of the trailer.
                Fill the trailer / box with concrete.
                Back into the site and tie the chain off to some big piece of concrete at the dump site.
                Pull away slowly.
                The tire will drag most of the concrete out of the box.
                Pick up your tire, chain and plywood and you are all done.
                Last edited by mrchipster; 01-09-2016, 08:52 AM. Reason: Clarification
                Chip

Comment

Yes it can be a little intimidating with all the big tractors and dump trucks . That is a good idea for getting the stuff out of the truck. I will keep that in mind for the future. You never know when you might want to bust up some more concrete.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                  X