Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Concrete slab question

hey f,
    is the wood from the deck pressure treated ? will you be able to burn it in the oven after it is done ?

Looks like a great spot for an oven...

cheers
    mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
      is the wood from the deck pressure treated ? will you be able to burn it in the oven after it is done ?

Looks like a great spot for an oven...
      I think it's a great spot for the oven. It'll be on higher ground so I don't have to elevate the foundation as high as the other spot I had in mind.
      The oven will be closer to the kitchen but still be 100ft away which is as close as I can get the oven located. There is a closer spot but not very practical as it will be further up and away from the main patio area.

Most of the scrap wood are not treated, most are douglas fir, and some redwood. If I can use them in the oven I'll certainly save some as I've been chopping them down to smaller pieces and disposing them slowly. Plus, I already had the city pick up about 50 bundles a couple of weeks ago.

George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Is it too late to run a water supply line/electric under the cement so you can put a sink or hose lights etc,,, close to the oven ?? or have you thought of that already ??

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
          Is it too late to run a water supply line/electric under the cement so you can put a sink or hose lights etc,,, close to the oven ?? or have you thought of that already ??
          Water supply is very close and I can still run a straight 20ft line to the foundation area as I have not slabbed that whole area yet. Besides, I could use another garden faucet in that area.
          I already have electrical lines that were part of the lighting for the old wood deck I demolished so I will definitely reroute those lines and place a junction box near the oven.

I was originally looking at months from now before getting to lay the foundation but now with this new location I'm looking at just a few weeks from now. I am really jazzed about that...

Meanwhile, the large area which I originally needed to fill is almost filled (with dirt and tub parts) and compacted and I'll be pouring that whole area in 3 separate sections/pourings in the next few days.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Hey FX
            Thats great you can be buiding the oven sooner, and glad to hear the giant bathtub is gone...
            Good Luck
            Mark

Comment

I needed to build a base slab to extend existing patio. Under neath I layed 3 courses of solid red bricks to support the finished oven and base above.
              In fill with recycled material, crushed bricks, road base etc.

Comment

Yeah, I need to pour my base slab about 5 feet high at the highest point to reach the concrete patio level. The base slab will be about 7' x 7'.
                I am already thinking about stand and hearth design and am constantly making drawings. I scrapped the tri-leg (sonotubes) idea and leaning towards a 6' round stand now. The oven will be an igloo.

George
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

5 ft is pretty high. My base was about 2ft at the highest. Once we layed the 3 courses of bricks we infilled 4 inches at a time and compacted each layer. The clay soil we excavated from the footings was also used to fill the centre.

Comment

Would placing the block wall footings for the oven foundation so close to the palm tree (pictured in post #135) create any problems down the road? In general, these palm trees don't uproot and are pretty solid & stable. Part of the old existing block wall there has been rock solid and has never been affected by this tree which has grown to maturity over the last 20 years with that wall right beside it.

As I mentioned before, I don't mind chopping it down as it is standing right smack in the middle of the adjacent lot and somewhat blocks the view of the city from our living room.
                    But on the other hand, I like the tree there for stringing Xmas lights high above.
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

From what I can tell palms are not considered invasive, rootwise. An established, stable tree shouldn't be a problem since it's not in a fast growth phase (assuming palms even have fast growth phases) and the roots tend not to go where they aren't wanted.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks folks! I'll start digging that area in the next coming days.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

On second thought I might just chop down this palm tree. I've been thinking about it all week long. I just don't want to take the chance of my oven foundation shifting over time as this palm tree is only 20 years old.

Foundation slab for the stand will sit on top of block walls (brought up to patio level) building up the corner of this old existing foundation. I can completely fill this corner void or turn it into a nice little storage area directly beneath the oven stand.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Im with you F,,,,,

Its too close to too many things.. Take it down and plant another...
                            make sure you kill the roots...

mark

Comment

You're right Mark. It's way too close and I'm bringing it down (while my wife is at work..).
                              Speaking of shifting, my oven will shift next time we experience an earthquake like we did back in 1994. Anything and everything that were not bolted or anchored shifted that morning. My neighbor down the street lost his entire front porch.
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Eh, I'd be more worried about the trunk than the roots - look at how tiny that root system is. A sheet of tin foil would stop it (okay, maybe tin instead). Seriously, those roots aren't going to do anything.

The trunk, on the other hand, might. If it's still growing it will put pressure on anything nearby.

I don't have a recommendation other than do whatever will let you sleep best at night.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X