Concrete slab question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Concrete slab question

Mark.....Yeah, I've been using the wheelbarrow to feed the mixer by shoveling. I basically have most of the bags ready and stacked very close to the wheelbarrow.
    Also, I think there's less strain on the mixer by shoveling rather than dumping the mix directly from the bag. Besides, concrete does not tend to clump up in the mixer by shoveling small amounts at a time. I start off with about 4 gallons of water in the mixer before I shovel any concrete mix into it.

Here's a shot of the big tub I took this morning:

George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

wow,, getting that thing and the supporting lumber alone out of there is gonna be a job,, have you got a firepit ??

burn it dont carry it...

cheers
      Mark

Comment

Ooh, finish the edges, support the sides and put a fire pit in the middle!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

It may be too late for your job, but since you have a mixer, why didn't you get the navy jack (mixed aggregate) in bulk and the bags of portland and mix your own ?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
            It may be too late for your job, but since you have a mixer, why didn't you get the navy jack (mixed aggregate) in bulk and the bags of portland and mix your own ?
            Actually, I still have many more sections of slabs to pour when I get to the main patio area where I'll eventually pick a spot for my oven.
            I have several bags of stucco, mortar, and portland cement on hand and I plan on using them to mix with aggregate.
            I'm still looking for a trailer..
            George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Okay, dumb question - how are you having trouble finding a trailer in LA? Don't y'all have a Trailer World or Lowes? What about an auction yard?

I confuse easily...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                Okay, dumb question - how are you having trouble finding a trailer in LA? Don't y'all have a Trailer World or Lowes? What about an auction yard?

I confuse easily...
                I'm trying to pick one up used and have been checking Craigslist. A 40x50 inch deck with 12" tires would be ideal.
                I checked with Lowe's but none carry trailers here in this region. I can order new from an on-line trailer dealer if need be and pick up at a local warehouse to save on shipping. I'll find one eventually...
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Ah, I see. Hope you manage to find one soon!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hello!

I have on hand several bags of Portland Cement and Plastic Cement, over 500 lbs of each.
                    Can I add aggregate to Plastic Cement to make concrete mix?

This is what I have:
                    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

EDIT: I mixed a small batch. It's hard and looks like concrete.
                    Last edited by fxpose; 01-10-2010, 01:43 PM.
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Hey F,
                      Tried looking all over for this answer.. Today I am going to try and get a hold of a mason I know and see If i can get an opinion from him..... My thoughts:::: maybe you could use it as the base for some of your bigger/deeper pours.. I will post when I get home from work if i made contact today....
                      Mark

Comment

Hye F,
                        Just found this
                        Plastic cement is a type of Portland cement with the addition of a plasticizing material ( limestone or hydrated lime ), as well as other materials to reduce setting time and facilitate workability (see superplasticizer ). Plastic cement is used primarily for spreading onto walls to make exterior stucco , as Portland cement (used primarily for concrete) would have poor spreadability. In this usage, the term "plastic" does not refer to the addition of an organic polymer. Rather, it refers to the addition of a substance to increase the workability of the mixture.
                        To me it sounds like you have regular portland with lime added,, I think your answer is yes, the only problem it mat set very quickly ?? Not sure but why dont you mix up a bag with agg and see how it works out..

Mark

INEX: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Portland cement)
                        Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 01-11-2010, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                          Hye F,
                          Just found this To me it sounds like you have regular portland with lime added,, I think your answer is yes, the only problem it mat set very quickly ?? Not sure but why dont you mix up a bag with agg and see how it works out..
                          Thank you Mark. Yes, I mixed a batch and poured a small area which will eventually be buried. It turned out like ordinary concrete. But just to be sure I'll use this only for footings and to fill cores.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Actually, the plastic cement is better for resistance to water/weather exposure than regular portland cement. We used to use it in the boatyard on larger older wooden fishing boats to pay seams after caulking. Once we couldn't ran out and the management told us to use regular portland with added lime instead. And for our efforts we got to redo the job the following year (at the yard's expense). The area where we used the amended portland just didn't hold up, cracking in short lengths and as it didn't stick as well to the sides of the seam, in many places had fallen out.

If you are planning on a stuccoed dome I would think you might consider holding off and saving it for that use. That is, if there is much in the way of difference in price. What is the price difference in your area between the two?

Bests,
                            Wiley

Comment

Wiley, thank you for that info. In fact, I plan on stuccoing the dome as finish, but that could be several months from now. These 94lb bags of plastic cement are cheap (under $8) if I needed to get more of them. But I had already planned on using surface bonding cement (SBC) for this purpose.
                              But in the meantime I might as well use up these open/torn bags of plastic cement I have on hand before they absorb too much moisture and turn solid.
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

• I Think I Found A Spot For My Oven

The new spot for my oven is a bit closer to the house (and to the kitchen) from the original spot I had planned to build which would have required the oven foundation to be placed about 10 feet above sloping ground to which I wasn't too thrilled about. This was originally due to the fact that we were in the process of splitting up the lot and gifting the empty lot to my daughter so she can build a house on it. But since we are no long going through with this I decided to go ahead a pick a spot for my oven in the empty lot across the 'imaginary' property line. Originally, I wanted to keep the oven on my side of this property line which meant further down the hillside for the oven.

I would like to lay the oven foundation on the immediate right side of the palm tree over the old existing block wall which was part of the demolished wooden deck. The stand floor will be elevated to the height of the higher wall, same elevation as with the main patio. This will also place the oven about 20' away from the house.
                                I will build a square block wall enclosure using the existing wall as the fourth wall, fill it, and pour foundation for the oven stand.
                                I will leave the 30ft palm tree there for now, but may bring it down later if I see a fire hazard. These palm trees grow around here like weeds.

looking down from the living room balcony
                                Last edited by fxpose; 02-03-2010, 10:17 AM.
                                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                                X