Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concrete slab question

...lol...

I did toss in a few items though... some dated junk mail and a few empty diet soda cans.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Moving on to the next area, if I decide to suspend this 8' x 12' slab, should it rest on all four sides? Having only an 8' span can it just suspend end to end with nothing supporting its sides or mid-span areas? Should I erect block columns or a 12' wall across?
      I'm not sure what would be the best approach here. Of course, I can always use fill instead.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Needs more support. Needs to be anchored on the building side - don't just use the building. Most wooden decks fail because they are only lightly supported on the building side. Great "America's Stupidest Videos" fodder but not a great homeowners day. Concrete would only exacerbate the problem so think new footings.

Not sure about the span but I'd err on the side of paranoia and add additional footings. By the way, how deep is it going to be?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
          Needs more support. Needs to be anchored on the building side - don't just use the building. Most wooden decks fail because they are only lightly supported on the building side. Great "America's Stupidest Videos" fodder but not a great homeowners day. Concrete would only exacerbate the problem so think new footings.

Not sure about the span but I'd err on the side of paranoia and add additional footings. By the way, how deep is it going to be?
          It's this area to the right. It will only be under three feet high at its highest point.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

hey fx,,,
            my thoughts,,,
            do not attach it to the existing foudation... too much opprotunity for settling..
            you will definitely need and expansion joint or two....
            I would rather see you fill this one as it is a big span, Or perhaps you could put a double column of cinderblock (with a footing) or sonotubes, thru the midpoint to receive some of the load... as well as the sides..

Concrete Slab Calculator - The Concrete Networkthis is just a calculator for cement.....

Reinforcing Concrete
            While concrete has tremendous compressive strength (load bearing) it has poor flexural and tensile strengths. In most small concrete slab construction this is not a factor. However, if you are installing a patio size slab or a slab that will be supporting an unequal weight load, it may be necessary to use steel reinforcing wire. Reinforcing wire is available in rolls. Place the wire in the area that is to be filled with concrete. Support the wire off of the ground using metal stakes or rocks. It is important that the mesh is embedded between concrete on all sides.

okay this one might be good but it had me kinda lost....Design and analysis of reinforced concrete column calculator

I think this one might help you.....Reinforced concrete beam and 1-way slab calculator

Hope all this mumbo jumbo helps
            Mark

Comment

Mark, thanks for the links. I particularly liked the slab calculator. The others were a bit beyond me.....I'll leave those for the engineers.

I decided to fill that 8x12 area. I'll just take my time filling the area while I concentrate work on slabbing other areas, section by section, mainly continuing on down with the step down walk way which will eventually tie in with the main patio area where the sun room (which will also be demolished) and the big tub sit......and eventually where the oven foundation will lay.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Hey f,
                I guess as you clear some of the hillside you can fill the foundation.... Keep us posted

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark, I dug and poured a new footing a few feet downgrade and will pour another section of slab there this weekend.
                  Meanwhile, I've been hauling dirt into the 8'x12' area slowly. That deck area can actually wait, as that bedroom is not being used at the moment.

George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Hey FX

Any Progress ?????

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark, thanks for asking.
                      I prepped two more landing areas over the weekend and will slab them tomorrow on my day off, and will post more pics.
                      One suspended landing area required additional prep work as I had to form an access hole directly above a below-grade rain reservoir/catch basin (which I never knew existed until I demolished the deck above it). This area will be the only other suspended slab. All other slabs will be poured over fill.
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

thats one thing about building,,, there is always the UNKNOWN factor that makes it more difficult/interesting ?? glad it worked out

Mark

Comment

I poured another suspended slab yesterday. That access hole form will be removed and I'll form a concrete cover to fit inside. I plan on pouring another slab tomorrow (the landing in the very front of the pic) and continuing on downward. I know I should be forming steps at the same time as I pour the landings but I'll pour the steps separately (less complicated for me..)

I wish I had more time to work on these projects but working 60 hours/wk makes progress very slow. I've been working on this a couple of hours starting at dawn each morning (thank God for SoCal weather, I'm in tees and shorts) before heading into work, plus the two days off I have.

Last edited by fxpose; 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Very thoughtful of you to make it easy for the search team and CSIs - leaving an access hole will greatly speed up the process of finding whatever/whomever ends up inside

RT

Comment

Man, it's hard to believe that's the same site from your earlier photos.

Nicely done.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I know I should be forming steps at the same time as I pour the landings but I'll pour the steps separately (less complicated for me..)
                                I agree,, it's always better to know when to stay within your personal experience and boundries....

Good Luck
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X