Concrete slab question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete slab question

I demolished a small wood decking (about 8' x 10' and about 2' high) outside of this bedroom and am planning on rebuilding with a concrete slab surface.
    What's most practical......a suspended slab or pour slab on top of several thousand pounds of gravel fill?
    Can some other fill material be used?

Last edited by fxpose; 10-04-2009, 10:18 AM.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Re: Concrete slab question

You need to dig and pour a footing across the front, ( below frost line). Lay block wall to bottom of slab hieght, fill and compact, then pour 4" minimun slab with dowels and expansion joints along existing building. It,s really not that bad a job, and much simpler than building an elevated concrete deck.

Comment

Suspended slab will cost considerably more. You only need about 3-4" of gravel on top of other clean fill, if gravel is an undue pain or expense.

Mark

Comment

May want to fix - and move - that pipe first...
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

go to craigslist... you can often get clean concrete fill for free,,, they are even happy to dump it for you,, And yes like arch says I would definitely do something to that pipe, You may want to consider enclosing it in a larger pvc pipe so it can be pulled or replace if it ever needs to be,,,

Mark

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I intend on re-routing that rain pipe, most likely above the finished slab.
            I guess I'll use concrete fill after I lay a new foundation wall in front.
            George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Um, is that a gas line sticking out or a water line? I didn't notice it the first time - the goo on it makes it blend in to the background.

That rain pipe looks like something out of the Twilight Zone....
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

I will use as solid a fill material as I can fill this with, including lots of gravel. And for extra measure, to prevent eventual sinking or tilting of the slab, I will drive rebars into the existing rear and right side block foundation, and perhaps erect a couple of cement block piers in the middle and to the left near the stuccoed wall in case the fill material decides to settle further.

BTW, that's a dead steel pipe sticking out of the ground there. I have no idea why its there.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

If you wanted, You could throw in one or two conrete footing tubes as well,, though im sure a block wall down the middle would be more than enough,, Throw in some wire grid as well to help keep the slab from cracking..
                  Remember,,, theres no such thing as overbuilt,,,,

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post

BTW, that's a dead steel pipe sticking out of the ground there. I have no idea why its there.
                    Ah, it looked like copper which is why I asked.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Ya!! i agree that You need to dig and pour a footing across the front,. Lay block wall to bottom of slab hieght, fill and compact, then pour 4" minimun slab with dowels and expansion joints along existing building.you can use a suspended slab but it might be some how costly.

Comment

Thanks for the additional replies!

My problem at the moment is finding enough solid fill material to fill that space after erecting the block wall.
                        From there, the additional slab landings in front step down to ground level. Those areas don't require much fill and I can fill them completely with gravel.

That long pipe to the right is a gas pipe for the pool heater which we no longer have. It will be removed and capped where it exits the concrete wall there. Also, that disconnected black 4" rain pipe laying on the ground will be re-routed above the slab and discharged elsewhere.

Last edited by fxpose; 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Hi fx,
                          You certainly have your work cut out for you... Please keep us posted with your progress and pics...

Cheers
                          Mark
                          P.S. dont forget to check Craigslist.net under free, they often have free dirt or concrete fill...

Comment

Damn shame we are on opposite sides of the country. I just paid $150 to have a guy haul away about 2 cubic yards of dirt (topsoil for the most part). I posted on Craigslist and the only people willing to take it for free wanted me to deliver, I've got an SUV, not a truck; so I paid dearly.

RT

Comment

I started digging trenches for the block wall footings. I just wished everything was on level ground as it is somewhat of a hassle doing stepped footings.

I've also been stock piling torn but good bags of concrete mix, sand, cement, and gravel from Home Depot on my way into work. Go there very early in the morning and you'll find lots of damaged bagged goods outside on palets, discounted, everyday.......like 90lb bags of concrete mix for a buck each.
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                              X