• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Bruce,

I would like to suggest/challenge something to every WFO builder on this forum. If you can build a WFO, you have what it takes to build a safe room.

I built my safe room first. I built it the months after Hurricane Katrina . It has been a real comfort to me to know that my children know exactly where to bring my grandchildren when the weather is threatening.

If you are a newbie, and have the choice. Build the safe room first.

Just Sayin'
    Sounds like good advice for those in tornado alley or near southeastern coast. We drove to New Orleans in 2006 for Jazz Fest following Katrina (2005). Blue tarps were prevalent the destruction along the coast only partially cleaned up. Makes one appreciate the force of wind and water.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Bruce,
    Thanks for the pics from Moore, Oklahoma. I second CobblerDave's comments. I have had the roof blown from over my head twice. First during hurricane Camille (1969). The second was during a tornado in North MS (1987). Both of them made lifelong impressions on me.

Days/weeks without electricity, here in the piney woods, from storms like Hurricane Fredrick, Ivan etc. had some influence on me in to relearning how to live/cook off of the grid (ie: the WFO).

I would like to suggest/challenge something to every WFO builder on this forum. If you can build a WFO, you have what it takes to build a safe room.

I built my safe room first. I built it the months after Hurricane Katrina . It has been a real comfort to me to know that my children know exactly where to bring my grandchildren when the weather is threatening.

If you are a newbie, and have the choice. Build the safe room first.

Just Sayin'

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Yes it's had big coverage over here as well . You pics are very sobering and make it a bit surreal as I know there not a cropped news item
    My prayers for the folk in Moore and you stay safe
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

We hadn't been paying a lot of attention to our route and just followed the GPS as it routed us into Oklahoma. Traffic came to a virtual halt and it took us nearly 2 hrs to go about 10 miles. It became clear the cause of the traffic jam was that we were passing through Moore, OK where the tornado had come down a few days ago. I took these pictures form the van as we passed through. Damage was on both sides of the interstate.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Id share that meal as well, too much for me to eat in one sitting

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Stopped and had dinner in Shreveport, LA at a place called "Blind Tiger." We shared a Cajun sampler. Took a few pics for Dave. A big storm went through while we were there. After it passed we drove a few hours into Texas and stayed the night in Liddell, TX. We are back on the road and will be passing through Dallas before long.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    started a topic Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado

Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    Off on a road trip....1/2 your luck .... It really sounds exciting. Would you mind posting a few pics? I'd be really interested to see some non commercial views of the states. You could start a post in the chat section at the bottom ( near the Ozzies funnily enough).
    Anyway oven will survive under the blue tarp and thoughts of mortar can wait.
    Regards dave
    We are headed through though Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, turn north into New Mexico, and end up in a small town near Boulder, Colorado for a niece's graduation. We need to get there by Thur pm so not much chance to stop on way up. We plan to take our time on the way back and current thought is to spend a few days in Santa Fe, NM and New Orleans, LA. We are open to suggestions regarding places to stop along route. Bruce
Working...
X