• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado

Gudday
    I played it safe and used Wikapedia ......fascinating!!!!
    If I had only known at 17 that throwing cheap beads at random women could cause them to bare there bobies ........
    Thanks dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Dave,
    New Orleans is a one of a kind. Mardis Gras is celebrated to some extent every night on Bourbon Street. Not wanting to get away from the family oriented site that we have, I will let you do the research !. And yes, youtube does have plenty of study material. Some of the criteria for your search could be New Orleans Mardi Gras. Beads. Bobs, Ttties, etc. etc But, of course, exhibitionism can go both ways in NO, so be careful .

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Ok guys
    That's one I don't think will come up strait away on google
    What gives ....Beads thrown at you , got to go armed?

Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gulf,
    True, but nowadays I tend to just do a walk down Boubon for old times sake. First visit was in 1979 (wow 33 years ago) when I started grad school in Tallahassee and went to Jazz Fest. Have probably visited at least once a year since. Over the years I've had beads tossed at me, didn't know I was supposed to show off.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Did you buy some beads to throw? . Bourbon St. can have some excellent sight seeing opertunititties if you go there armed .
    Last edited by Gulf; 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    I'm a bit sad that you trip is nearly at an end. It's been fascinating checking the map to we're you are. It's been a bit of a good adventure.
    Trip is coming to an end. We are about 2 hrs from home. Yesterday had a nice brunch and walked around the quarter. Here are a few pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    I'm a bit sad that you trip is nearly at an end. It's been fascinating checking the map to we're you are. It's been a bit of a good adventure. I'm started to come to the conclusion that you American members of the forum are a bunch of "foodies". Now I mean that in the nicest possible way.
    I have been having to "google" a lot of the food terms cause they are just plain unknown to me. Fascinating!
    I'm particularly taken with a "poboy" it was a bit of a "what da" moment for me. I googled it to find out. The simmered beef and spices sounds great. But the fried shrimp (prawns down here) sounds pretty bloody good to me.!!!!
    Anyway haven't had my evening meal and al this talk of food is making me hungry.
    Thanks Bruce and thank you forno mob for giving me an insite into a bit of America that I hadn't realized.
    Regards dave
    Guilty as charged, though should point out that on travel days we only stopped for meals, gas, and at rest areas. We arrived about 11:30 am and went over to the French Market area. Here are some pics I took today and a link to a short video of the street band.

http://redirector.googlevideo.com/vi...504000&key=lh1

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    Glad you enjoyed your meal and I didn't steer you wrong.
    We both really enjoyed Parrain's. thanks for the suggestions. Thanks again, Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Glad you enjoyed your meal and I didn't steer you wrong.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I'm a bit sad that you trip is nearly at an end. It's been fascinating checking the map to we're you are. It's been a bit of a good adventure. I'm started to come to the conclusion that you American members of the forum are a bunch of "foodies". Now I mean that in the nicest possible way.
    I have been having to "google" a lot of the food terms cause they are just plain unknown to me. Fascinating!
    I'm particularly taken with a "poboy" it was a bit of a "what da" moment for me. I googled it to find out. The simmered beef and spices sounds great. But the fried shrimp (prawns down here) sounds pretty bloody good to me.!!!!
    Anyway haven't had my evening meal and al this talk of food is making me hungry.
    Thanks Bruce and thank you forno mob for giving me an insite into a bit of America that I hadn't realized.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Stopped in Shreveport, LA and had a good lunch at Herby-K's. We split an order of Crawfish Etouffee and an Oyster and Shrimp Poboy. The ?touff?e was the best I ever tasted and the Poboy was very good.

Herby-K's
    1833 Pierre Ave
    Shreveport, LA 71103
    (318) 424-2724
    Herby-K's - Shreveport, LA

Had dinner in Baton Rouge and tried Kurt's recommendation of Parrain's. We tried the Turtle Soup and the Seafood Gumbo. We split an order of Barbecued Drum. It was a large filet of Drum that was chargrilled with the skin and scale side down and basted with lemon butter. It was one of the best fish entrees I have ever had. Thanks Kurt.

Parrain's Seafood
    3225 Perkins Rd
    Baton Rouge, LA 70808
    (225) 381-9922
    Parrain's Seafood - Baton Rouge, LA

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Kurt sent me some recommendations for Baton Rouge and NOLA. He gave permission to share with the group.

Sorry about not following up on the post. I don't post online during work hours and I didn't get a chance to get online last night. Anyway, I'm going to make the assumption that you'd like something with a Louisiana flavor. In Baton Rouge, Parrains Seafood Restaurant is right off the interstate and is pretty good with moderate prices. You can eat for less than $10 by getting a poboy, but I doubt there are many entrees over $20. If there is a line to get in, you can grab a table in the bar section.

Parrains Seafood Restaurant

For something nicer, Louisiana Lagniappe Restaurant is probably the best seafood restaurant in town. It's about 3-4 miles off the interstate though.

Louisiana Lagniappe Restaurant | Baton Rouge, La

Closer to Parrains and right off the interstate is Mestizo Louisiana Mexican Restaurant. Looks like the reviews are mixed, but my wife and I like the Cancun-shrimp and crab enchiladas with a crawfish and spinach taco.

Mestizo Louisiana Mexican Restaurant - College/Acadian - Baton Rouge | Urbanspoon

Around lunch, I'm heading to New Orleans to pick up fire brick. I plan to have lunch at River Shack, I've been once and the special that day was one of the best fish dishes that I have ever had for all of $10. This place was on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It's nowhere near the French Quarter though.

NOLA Live Music, Restaurant and Drinks | The Rivershack Tavern | 504-834-4938

If you plan to check out the WWII museum near the Quarter, I recommend that you check out Cochon or Butcher specializes in house made meats, terrines and sausages, the fresh cuts are handpicked and ready-to-cook items available daily. It's a block or two away from the museum. This is one of the few Cajun restaurants in New Orleans.

Cochon]Cochon Abita Beer Whole Grain Mustard | Cochon Butcher | New Orleans Sandwich Shop | Donald Link Butcher | New Orleans Sandwich Shop | Donald Link |

In the Quarter, going to Central Grocery for a muffulletta. It's the original. My friend in Texas used to make me pick them up for him as it is his favorite sandwich.

http://www.centralgroceryneworleans.com/]Central Grocery New Orleans

My go to poboy restaurant in New Orleans is R&O's. This place isn't near the quarter either and they only take cash and maybe checks

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/lo...ource=apppromo

We plan to try Parrain's for dinner. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Long drive today (about 673 miles), just stopped for the night. We went from about 7,000 ft elevation to a bit over 400 ft in Terrell, TX. In Colorado we were at about 5200 ft and neither of us fully adjusted to the altitude. We should be in Baton Rouge for dinner and I hope Kurt or others will make some recommendations. NOLA on Sat and head for home on Mon.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    When you head back and near Baton Rouge, there is a place an hour west of town in Krotz Spings on HWY 190 where I usually pick up sausages and other smoked meats. It will be on the right before you cross the bridge. The name is Kartchner's Grocery. http://kartchnersspecialties.com/index2.html. I like the marinated duck, boudin, cracklings and beef sticks they sell. Billy's is across the street and they are famous for their boudin balls. My cousin has a meat market, Bergeron's, in Port Allen on Lobdell. He makes a pork, jalape?o and jack cheese sausage that is very good. He has a restaurant attached to the store. If you want any restaurant recommendations in BR or New Orleans, let me know.

Kurt
    Hi Kurt,

Looked at routing to New Orleans, appears to be about 19 hrs. We will probably try and get near NOLA on the second day. At least to Shreveport, and maybe to Baton Rouge. We'll see how far we travel tomorrow. Shreveport seems more likely, at least for dinner. Any pics in either city. Also, will have time for some good eating in NOLA, any thoughts. We will stay either in or near the quarter. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Mary Ann and I did a 3 hr hands on cooking class at the Santa Fe School of Cooking. The class covered making four types of chilli relleno; New Mexican tempura rellenos, ancho chile rellenos, cream cheese stuffed jalapenos en escabeche and chiles en nogada. They set up one work station at wheelchair height for me. While geared at a basic skill level, the class was still instructive and yielded a nice lunch. After the class we explored the historic downtown area.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X