Beers of the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beers of the World

When I started building by WFO several months ago I kept the empty beer bottles that were cosumed during the build so that I could get an accurate record of "How many beers does it take to make a WFO?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	21 Soldier Course Cut.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	315767

After a day at work there is nothing better to wash away the stress of the day to come home and lay a few bricks while drinking a cold beer. However to make it more challanging I now plan to have a beer from each state in Australia and each country in the world where you have built you own WFO.

To help me out please let me know where you are and provide me with a beer recomendation & I will see if it is available in Aus. So far the build has required the following beers.

Boag's (Tasmania)
    Coopers (South Australia)
    Pepperjack Ale (South Australia)
    Barons Black Wattle (New South Wales)
    Little Creatures (Western Australia)
    Peroni (Italy)
    Carona (Mexico)
    Kirin (Japan)

Paul
    Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
    (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Re: Beers of the World

Paul,

I love your ambitions!
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Mike, What's your recomendation from Michigan? I traveled through Michigan in 1997 but didn't get as far north as you. We stayed a night in Kalamazoo and another at St Joseph. I remember a very nice summer evening in St Joseph in a restaurant over looking the lake & watching the sun set. I can't remember what we drank though!

Paul
      Paul

Comment

Bell's brewery is in Kalamazoo, MI. It is a very good, reliable brewery. Initially a small microbrewery, they've now grown in size and reputation. Their Bell's Oberon is a perennial summer beer that is found everywhere in much of this area. A very good beer.

I also am a big fan of Dragonmead brewery, in Warren, MI. They have a great beer called Final Absolution, which is a Belgian style Trippel Ale. This is probably harder to get. Who knows now with the internet. The world has become small.

Michigan is also becoming a serious wine producing region.

Good Luck!
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Hey Paul, I will start off with a thud. I drink Coors - to me it is mothers milk. When I was young I could drink the "Banquet of beers". Now that I am older I have to drink the "Silver Bullet" (light beer). It's like tasty water but what the hey - I still have all my fingers.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Paul

Living on the Gold Coast, Queensland, I would recommend the Duke Pale Ale brewed by Burleigh Brewing Company. Full of flavour and very more-ish.

Cheers
            Bill
            Tutto Fumo e niente arrosto!

Comment

I second the recommendation of Bell's from Kalamazoo! They have a great range of styles, and my favorite (from them) is Two-Hearted Ale. It has so many hops it's almost ridiculous, but it's not pasteurized, and likely not to be exported.

My build continues to rely on two beers: One of them is Guinness (I can't help myself). But as an Ami (as my German girlfriend calls me), I have to endorse the best hedonistic American beer of all: Rogue Brutal Bitter from Newport, Oregon. It practically lays bricks for you!

If you can't get it I'll try to send some your way.
              Cheers,
              Eric

Comment

Here in Bend Oregon, a town of about 80,000, we have on the order of 7 micro breweries. All produce fine beers (maybe it's the water?)

The largest is Deschutes Brewery with a long list of fine beers, and as they are the largest with the largest distribution, and most likely to be available outside the immediate area...

JED

Comment

Mmmmm Deschutes Black Butte porter is one of my favorites!
                  My Oven Thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Hey Paul,

You might be cutting yourself short, why not do every county (more beers) I live in the hill of northern California and brew my own home brew. Our local brewery Sierra Nevada, Chico California, they have a good pale ale which is sold world wide

Comment

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
                      When I started building by WFO several months ago I kept the empty beer bottles that were cosumed during the build so that I could get an accurate record of "How many beers does it take to make a WFO?"

So, How many?

As for beers, have you tried the Mallee Bull from Mildura brewing, and though I hate to say it, this brewery would have to be my favorite producer at the moment ( Bridge Road Brewers Beechworth - Brewery )...I know, I know he's a Victorian, still it's bloody good beer.

Himzo.

Comment

I think one of my favorite Belgian beers is Urthel Hop-It, if you can find it. The one that I had was a 2003 and I drank it earlier this year. Fantastic stuff. I also had a bottle from Lithuania called Žaibo Extra Stout Beer. Not a stout. Just strong and good. Other than that, I'll second that Bell's Two-Hearted is great, as is their Oberon. I also like Three Floyd's Robert The Bruce from Indiana. Get your hands on some Lagunitas beer, if you can. Any of it is good.

Comment

I dont drink much beer,,, but this one I always take out when I have a gathering... I Think you'll see why,,Not bad tasting and provides a lot of fun for all the guests...

Cheers
                          Mark
                          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Although we have a small local micro-brewery that creates a passable brew, I second Drake's recommendation of Black Butte Porter as one of my favorite beers; although Alaskan Amber runs a close second, at least for quanity consumed. Now if only Costco sold Black Butte Porter. But as for keeping all the empties...that's more space than I would care to commit.

To quote Ben Franklin: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Bests,
                            Wiley

Comment

Thanks for the recomendations.

For my plan to drink a beer from every country where someone has build a pizza oven I started on American beers. These are not too common in Aus apart from the mass produced beers the following beers. There were only beers from 3 breweries available and this was the selection I chose.

Flying dog IPA from Frederick, Maryland
                              Sameul Adams Lager from Boston
                              Rouge Ale from Newport, Oregon.

To celebrate the keystone placing yesterday I opened the lager and the IPA and the IPA was especially nice.

Paul
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X