Oven Rises From the Ground-Toluca Lake CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Rises From the Ground-Toluca Lake CA

Having poured over this site for months and taking the first tentative steps over the last few weeks I figured I would post my progress thus far. Just finished pouring the foundation this morning and am excited with the progress thus far.

Having surveyed the backyard for locations, I felt having it accessible to the back patio without actually taking up any space on the patio would be best. Here are the first few exploratory steps trying to figure out what I was going up against. If you look really carefully, you will see the outdoor fireplace in the back corner of the picture. You will also see my first prototype that I built out of bricks and tin foil. The pizzas were great but it took hours to heat up and would cool down far too quickly. Thus the new project.

Happy with the location I set to digging up the bricks and breaking through the small brick and concrete retaining wall. You will notice that there was another support wall under the retaining wall. I decided to build directly on top of this since it was still stable and level. I bolted rebar into this existing slab so that the new foundation would anchor to it.

This is my original concrete form. It didn't work out too well. Way too flimsy and would have required mountains of concrete to fill.

Unfortunately, I was too quick and set up the new form, plastic sheeting and rebar mesh to take any pics. All I am left with is the final pour pic. Doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.

Next week am planning on laying out the first few courses of concrete block dry stack.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Knoxley; 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM.

Re: Oven Rises From the Ground-Toluca Lake CA

Knoxley,

Welcome to the forum, and great job with the pictures. It sure helps to see how the oven will fit into the patio space. And it looks like you will have a great party space when the oven is complete!

Keep up the good work.

JED

Comment

Right on! Here's to another L.A. build. I'm not far from you. I just got done pouring my stand.
      Good luck on your build!
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. May need to start an LA Pizza oven club.

Here is a pic of the prototype oven I built when the bug first bit. It worked perfectly once it got up to temp, but would cool down almost right away. This fireplace will go back to being a fireplace once the new oven is complete. The difficulty will be in deciding which to burn the firewood in.

Comment

Any progress on the Toluca Lake oven?
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Oven continues its rise from the ground. This is actually an older picture. The concrete base is finished with most of the voids filled with concrete and rebar. This Saturday I am planning on doing the hearth pour if the forms go up quickly.

Inspector comes by to check out the work site. Making sure everything is to code. He approves.
            Last edited by Knoxley; 05-02-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Progress is flying right along. Just finished pouring the hearth.

A good view of the entire yard and how the oven fits in with all of the madness. My biggest concern are roots tearing the thing up. Since the foundation goes down quite deep and magnolia only roots down 12-18 inches I think I may have dodged that bullet.

Framed up the hearth in a couple of hours. Not as much rebar as some but the hearth is supported by several pieces of heavy duty angle iron and concrete board.

Post pour, puppy noses around to make sure everything is ship shape. Actually, he has a rat friend that has taken up residence in the brick/wood pile there to the right.

Comment

That's really coming along. Having the tree there for shade will be great....but what about the heat from the chimney?
                WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

Hey, that's a nice cozy location for your oven. What size oven are you building?

The morning weather has been so pleasant in L.A. lately that I've been working on my build at the crack of dawn each morning before heading into work.

George
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

I agree: very nice setting for a wfo. I counted 6 cmu's and almost panicked until I saw the front picture. Your oven is just 4 bricks tall in the front. Is there going to be a brick patio or something poured up to the height of the brick that goes across the storage opening in front?

I bet your puppy is happy with all that work going on outdoors!

You've got a nice looking build going on, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

-Dino
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Woodchuck-Yes, the tree is a concern. I am right on the edges of the canopy and it is open directly above with only a few branches 20 or so feet above. There is one branch directly above that I will trim back.

FX-The weather has be sublime. Perfect for all sorts of backyard fun. I'm unhappy the oven isn't ready now. The goal is to install the Casa2G 80 on there. Which is the 32 inch.

Dino-The puppy loves helping. Sure he will enjoy helping with the pizzas even more. Yes, the interior of the stand is packed with rubble and dirt and will be paved with bricks from the edge of the opening to the back. Just like it would be if it had been built to one level. Thanks for the catch though, it would have been a pain to retrieve wood from the abyss. BTW, your build is the one from which I have gleaned the most information. All of my questions have been answered by your and others builds. Thank you.

Comment

Used the old "building inspector" pet joke in my thread too....

Wood fired pet lovers.. that sounds so wrong

Jon
                        Cardiff
                        Last edited by jota112233; 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Hello neighbor.......any updates on your project?
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates. We finally ran up to Monterey and picked up the oven a few months back. Truck ran a bit low to the ground and we had to drive carefully but made it back in one piece. We set it up on the hearth and I insulated it so quickly that I forgot to take any pictures.

In progress. Insulation on and curing fire going strong. Much too strong.

Here is a close up of the oven during the curing phase. My wife, insisting the oven be civilized, picked out and installed the tile work. Curing fire, much too big, and we got lots of steam. We have a few hairline cracks, but nothing that compromises the structure.

1st Pizza Cooking. They were a little rough on the first cooking. Still holding gallons of water, getting up to and holding heat were a challenge. The new oven also seemed to impart some not entirely appetizing flavors on the pizzas. Now the oven heats up quickly, holds heat for days and the pizzas are coming out with only pizza flavors and smells.

Here is where we are, up to this point. Still needs a coat of stucco and a concrete floor for the wood storage. But otherwise this oven is good to go and is throwing out some fabulous, thin crust pizza like we got in Italy.

This has been a pretty easy process. The Casa oven was easy to assemble and has worked perfectly. We have had several parties and now everyone is asking to come over. We did end up doing a bunch of trimming to the tree above the oven. Too much heat was playing havoc on the leaves and branches.

The next update probably will cover the final stucco coat, and then we are done.

Comment

Thanks for that update and glad your'e enjoying your new oven!
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                              X