My 3-Legged Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 3-Legged Dome

Thats pretty good only 200? in 24hours, do you know how much the temp drop was without the door?

Comment

A good way to antique it, FX, is to make a slurry. Take, say 1 gallon of water, 3-5 pounds of cement, and a dab of color. It should be twice as thin as a batter, but thicker than orange juice. For straight up antiquing, add just a touch of black or brown dye.

Most importantly, dampen the whole thing before you start!. Apply the slurry with a big pore sponge to your desired degree of antiquing. After you get it like you like, you should use a penetrating sealer on the stucco.

Comment

Thanks for that tip Tom! So I'm assuming it's ok to do this process over the SBC?
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

BrickStoneOven.......I didn't take temp reading when I didn't have the door because I was going thru the curing process at that time. But before I built the insulating door I used a single layer non-insulated scrap aluminum door and it actually held temp very well, surprisingly.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Absolutely, and the idea is that this will pretty much stay exactly as it looks when you apply it. You may have to use white cement for the slurry (since you used white SBC), which will reduce the amount of color needed to a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
              Thanks!

I believe Quikwall comes in either white or gray straight out of the bag and since I wanted to see what the oven looked like in white that's what I used.
              I might blotch on a very light pastel color to create a rustic look later on.

I'm applying it at about 1/8" thickness and I am not using a trowel. I'm using my hand, with tight fitting latex glove, to apply the stucco, and within a couple of minutes, sponging the area smooth. Using my hand works perfectly as it conforms to the shape of the dome and I also get a better 'feel' of how thick the stucco is being applied. I will also apply a second coat.

So how's your oven coming along?
              I'm at my 4th curing fire, I've been pretty busy and I'm taking my time. Does it make a difference if a week or so goes by between firings? Haven't cooked anything yet, however I'm planning to the next firing. I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Absolutely, and the idea is that this will pretty much stay exactly as it looks when you apply it. You may have to use white cement for the slurry (since you used white SBC), which will reduce the amount of color needed to a pinch.
                Sounds like a plan!
                I finished the initial layer of white SBC and the oven looks too clean. Aside from that I kinda like that eggshell color and blends well with that part of the house. But it could use a slight contrasting finish, while retaining most of that eggshell color.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by car1gil View Post
                  I'm at my 4th curing fire, I've been pretty busy and I'm taking my time. Does it make a difference if a week or so goes by between firings? Haven't cooked anything yet, however I'm planning to the next firing. I can't wait!
                  I don't think it makes any diff as long as you keep it dry. How will you finish your oven?
                  And whenever you're able to, we'd like to see your oven.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Follow up:
                    BrickStoneOven........I took another set of temp readings. On Sat night I fired some green wood and couldn't get high pizza temps. Door was sealed shut after pizza and the gauge read 600F. Exactly 24 hours later on Sunday evening the gauge read 400F. So the oven has been pretty consistent with a 200F drop in the initial 24 hours.

The oven door gauge seems to be in line with my IR thermometer. It gives me average readings between the dome and the floor temps.
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

That's good to hear I want to make a door ASAP so I can use the heat for the next day or two. I don't have a door that fits well. So its cracked open a good bit. The next day after 900? the temp will be in the 450?s. I just have it on so embers don't blow out.

Comment

As promised, here are a couple of pics of the rear of the door:
                        Fxpose,

First, nice build on your WFO.

Second, a couple of questions on your door:
                        1. Is there any insulation material inside the "box"?
                        2. Is that a trowel used as the handle?
                        Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Originally posted by EricU View Post
                          Fxpose,

First, nice build on your WFO.

Second, a couple of questions on your door:
                          1. Is there any insulation material inside the "box"?
                          2. Is that a trowel used as the handle?
                          Thanks Eric. Yes, I have a 2" thick blanket insulation in the door, and yes, I used a trowel for the handle.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Looks awesome! I'm about to take the plunge. I'm debating 36" or 42". Do you feel yours is in any way too small? We'll be using it for mostly 3 people, then to entertain more once in a blue moon.
                            Here's mine:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...man-15992.html

Comment

I don't think it makes any diff as long as you keep it dry. How will you finish your oven?
                              And whenever you're able to, we'd like to see your oven.
                              I'm going with white Qwikwall SBC.
                              I need a little more time to put some pics up, I have a few pics from my recent to trip to S.Francisco and Napa Valley to unload from my camera.....

Comment

Originally posted by jimkramer View Post
                                Looks awesome! I'm about to take the plunge. I'm debating 36" or 42". Do you feel yours is in any way too small? We'll be using it for mostly 3 people, then to entertain more once in a blue moon.
                                So far for pizza, no, it's not too small. I can only handle one pizza at a time anyway.
                                But as for cooking other types of meals with multiple dishes and pans, I have at times wished I had a larger oven, perhaps around 40".
                                OTOH, it doesn't take much fuel to bring up to and maintain temp in my smallish oven so I'm happy about that...
                                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                                X